Dreamland; Kent's Only Significant Amusement Park

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Dreamland; Kent's Only Significant Amusement Park

Postby porterm » 12 Jul 2003, 00:41

Hello all,

With the announcement of Dreamland's pending closure date in early September it hit me that if the park is lost we will also be mourning the loss of Kent's last remaining sizeable amusement park. Surely the county, with this park's heritage and worldwide recognition, can sustain at least one major amusement park. With the pending Folkestone Rotunda's closure this year it would leave Kent without any notable amusement park. Surely this can not be allowed to happen, especially in a prime coastal resort.

If Dreamland goes then I can only think of Dymchurch on Romney Marsh capable of offering any amusement park facility in the whole county of Kent. This would surely be a national disgrace. With this thought in mind we should use every resource possible to ensure Dreamland survives. Otherwise future generations will look back and think that the vast majority of people in Kent just let this park closure situation happen.

If Dreamland is flattened the prospect for any future park would surely be very remote. I hope this reinforces everyone's continued efforts in our Campaign. There is now really only less than two months to remain united in our cause; if we can support the park by just the odd visit in the coming weeks it will show how popular the facility is at this location.

Hopefully we can show continued support for the Scenic Railway, and some special events can be organised. I am currently working on a commercial tie-in for the attraction which, if successful, should raise further awareness ot the threatened ride.

I would welcome any further ideas and comments.

Bye for now,

Martin
porterm

Postby Gez » 15 Jul 2003, 09:37

I absolutely agree with everything you say, if Dreamland closes it is money talking for just a few people but a whole town will be affected. As you can see I live in Birmingham but have made an effort, twice this year to get to Margate and am coming again in August. The park needs all the support it can get.

If necessary we will have to chain ourselves to the Scenic if they want to pull it down, I would be up for this action. Keep up the good work and support, I am happy to get involved all I can.
Gez

Postby porterm » 27 Sep 2003, 19:07

Hi Gez,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but I've just been reflecting on the forum comments. I fully endorse your remarks. After watching last night's Meridian Tonight local news feature on this weekend's possible last ever season for the park, I was rather disillusioned to hear rather negative remarks made after people were asked for their views on the threatened park closure. I found it very sad to hear one young lady seeming to not have any cares for the facility, whilst an older guy appeared to be very upset about the town's future prospects (or indeed severe lack of them without the tourist influx created by Dreamland).

I'm very impressed that you managed at least two visits to support the park this season. Maybe if more local people had similar inspiration and motivation we would not be struggling to arrange a final exclusive Scenic Railway ride session for tomorrow's final day. Apathy sadly seems to rule.

The Scenic surely deserves a final show of support, especially after all the fun the ride has offered over her long years. Long live the Scenic!

Martin :D

PS How can you compare this ride with anything at Disneyland? (as Meridian remarked last night)
porterm

Postby Sarah » 27 Sep 2003, 19:21

They do say that familiarity breeds contempt and absence makes the heart grow fonder. Perhaps that accounts for the attitudes of some local people. But I have to leap to the defence of Margatonians; I have been amazed at the level of support the Campaign has received locally. There are plenty of people in this town who care deeply for Dreamland, who can trace their links to the park back through the generations and who appreciate its importance to our local economy. Don't think that the people of Margate are oblivious or apathetic. We aren't.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby porterm » 27 Sep 2003, 20:15

Hello all,

I do hope I didn't cause any bad feelings with my previous remarks re apathy; I didn't mean to criticise all the local people. I probably spoke without too much reflection. I'm sure there are many people who support the park in spirit, if they cannot always fully attend. I just came to this somewhat abrupt conclusion after hearing about the difficulty in raising enough people to partake in the proposed final exclusive Scenic Railway ride session for tomorrow night.

Also, I guess the media have to show a balanced view of local feeling towards the park's future.

Martin
porterm

Postby Sarah » 27 Sep 2003, 21:59

No bad feeling at all Martin. I am aware that it can look from the outside like there's no strength of feeling here. I just wanted everyone to know that it does exist. See you tomorrow. :)

Sarah
Sarah

Postby Cheryl » 30 Sep 2003, 10:20

Hello Martin, we met at the 20s night and an evening in August at the Scenic. Gez is my husband and he did the marathon ride. He was the one dressed like an ice cream salesman - you must know the one!

As Sarah said there is support among the locals, my Mom and Dad have a beach chalet and I was asking a few of the 'neighbours' what they thought of Dreamland's impending closure. Most thought it was disgusting and hoped it could be saved. There was one muppet who piped up saying that people round here don't care about Dreamland, to which a healthy debate commenced among occupants of several chalets - I sat back and thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

There is also alot of support at my Parents social club (which we are dragged to when we are down!)

Hope this makes you feel better. I'm sure we'll meet at the Scenic we are down October half term - glad to hear the park is open.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum