wake up London video at bembom Brothers

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

wake up London video at bembom Brothers

Postby dj » 06 Jul 2017, 12:29

Found this video today it's such a great video and there are not that many videos around now of the old Bembom Brothers park hope you all enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWCR94gmsFw
dj

Re: wake up London video at bembom Brothers

Postby AJ » 08 Jul 2017, 20:47

What a great find. This was around the time of my very first visit to Bembom Brothers and exactly how I remember it. Also I used to love Wake Up London so thanks for the memory overload.
AJ

Postby dj » 09 Jul 2017, 09:45

AJ wrote:What a great find. This was around the time of my very first visit to Bembom Brothers and exactly how I remember it. Also I used to love Wake Up London so thanks for the memory overload.

I cannot remember the first time when I visited Bembom Brothers I think it was either 1984 or 1985 I remember being amazed by the looping star though I never braved my self to go on there the first time we went though that came much later. I loved that ride would give anything to ride it again.
dj

Postby AJ » 18 Jul 2017, 20:27

I posted this here on this forum 13 years ago, but my memory of that day in 1986 is still fresh as a daisy. One of the best days if my life.

AJ wrote:I've just been watching Only Fools and Horses 'Jolly Boys Outing' for about the hundredth time and was wondering............

How high was the big wheel?
What were the names of the rides?
What were peoples first impressions of their very first visit to Dreamland?

I remember going in about 1986 when I was 10 years old and queuing to get in, my first visit to any kind of Amusement Park! And when I got in it was amazing. I seem to remember some kind of organ playing in a restaurant as you just got in?????? And dodgems being in some kind of half derelict building (now an arcade) opposite the same restaurant.

Walking out and seeing the Scenic Railway for the first time and my stomach doing a spin cycle. My first ride was the Ladybird Rollercoaster, only after watching it about five times did I get enough courage to ride it. I remember going on the Astroglide slide thing and the ride op having a radio on and it was playing 'Golden Brown' by the Stranglers...when ever I hear that song it reminds me of Dreamland. Then my Dad and Uncle Frank going on the Mary Rose and I just stood and watched (I wish I had gone on it now). I then remember going on the 'Zig Zag'? and didn't it used to be surrounded by trees?

Then going on the BIG WHEEL....up until this point the biggest wheel I had ever been on was on Walton Pier!!! What a monster that big wheel was!!! And the Water Chute what a classic why did Godden pull it down?

What was the big green Planet thing called, I remember seeing it on all the flyers and posters at the railway station at home and was really looking forward to riding it and then when I did what a let down. I remember going on a ride called the Ben-Hur or was that when I visited a couple of years later.

I remember leaving the park around lunch time and getting a UV stamp on my hand so I could go back in and thinking I wasn't ever going to wash that stamp off as it was so 'cool'. We then met up with my Nan and Grandad and the first thing they asked me was 'Had I been on the Scenic Railway' which I hadn't quite built up the courage for yet.

After our Fish and Chips it was back to the park and straight on the Scenic and then straight on the Scenic again and again and again. FOUR TIMES IN A ROW, my mates will think I'm so cool when I tell them that.

Then on to the Syphinx, now I don't remember much about this except there was some bloke having a epileptic fit and my Uncle Frank shooing me away as I was starring at the poor bloke.

Any way I don't remember much more apart from the Pirate Ship a few more goes on the Scenic Railway and then bricking it on the 'Looping Star' and buying my Mum a box of toffees to take home as they had a picture of the 'Looping Star' on and I could show her what I had been on. And getting Chips on the way home from that little Chip Shop just off of the prom down a side street and standing eating my chips looking accross the park and up at the Big Wheel wishing I didn't have to go home.

I remember a couple more visits to Bembom Brothers and then I would not return until 1996 and what a difference.................The Legendary Jimmy Godden had got his hands on it and given it its first kiss of death.

Anyway I have some very fond memories of Dreamland and Margate!!!!

Thats enough of my ramblings.
AJ

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum