Off Topic - Pleasureland Southport to close

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby RowBot » 14 Sep 2006, 14:35

Those pictures make me feel so sad, yet another park they start to rip up before it's time has come. :cry:
RowBot

Postby Neil » 14 Sep 2006, 15:37

This is very dissappointing, although not surprising as Amanda won't want it to be listed as she is inevitably making sure the park cannot operate again.

What did take me aback is that the person from Sefton Council would not give a response. For a start technically a website is media, and secondly I thought the Council were meant to be reasonably good and have a genuine interest in the town. Shying away from the situation won't help, although I can understand why they would feel inclined to. They need to be decissive and issue some kind of a statement.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby spaceace » 14 Sep 2006, 15:43

There's an ongoing feud between the Council and that particular website. They feel the council aren't co-operative, the council sees them as an anti-council propaganda site. To be honest they're probably both half-right, and will no doubt sort it out eventually.
spaceace

Postby Neil » 14 Sep 2006, 15:52

I can understand that, although the saying "keep your friends close but your enemies closer" comes to mind. According to the council's website it's still a fun day out, but then I suppose they must have been snowed under these past weeks. They certainly seem to have a lot on their plate. It does seem that everyone's at Amanda's mercy, however I guess there must be something we can do.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby troy » 14 Sep 2006, 16:04

Absolutely disgusting. (And I've had my say on the forum) I'm bloody livid here typing this !!
troy

Postby Neil » 14 Sep 2006, 16:07

The council's website doesn't make it easy to contact them. Does anyone have a clue what address you would write to if you want to add your comments on what's been happening?

I've found one for something called 'Sefton Plus', but goodness knows what that is.
Thanks

edit:I've found a list of Councillors, now I just need to take my pick
http://cmis.sefton.gov.uk/cmiswebpublic/Members.aspx
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby Sarah » 14 Sep 2006, 16:55

Horrible photos. This is exactly what would have happened to the Scenic, in just as swift a fashion, if Nick and the Civic Society hadn't got it listed back when the first rumours of a supermarket started circulating.

I find it incredible that it appears the Council handed over all the structures on the site as part of the lease, with no clauses to protect them should the operator lose interest. Hardly working for the good of the town or representing its residents' interests. I hope those residents will be vocal and troublesome in making their feelings known.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby spaceace » 14 Sep 2006, 17:25

Councillor David Tattersall was the first one to speak out about the Cyclone...also Simon Shaw was suspicious of the motives for the closure so he'd be a good bet too.
spaceace

Postby kevin » 14 Sep 2006, 18:46

I have just e-mailed every councillor with an e-mail address on the previous link:-

"Dear Sir,

We are outraged at the decision of Blackpool Pleasure Beach to close Pleasureland. Their claim that admissions had dropped is clearly a result of the cynical move of charging for admission.

Even more cynical are the photographs of workmen apparently cutting up the historic Cyclone within a week of closure in a display of wanton vandalism.

If Ms Thompson does not want to run the park any longer then surely it should be offered on the open market in the interests of protecting it and its historic rides.

My family are from Essex and we visit both Blackpool and Southport twice a year, the main attraction being the amusement parks. Indeed we are due to visit at October half term although we feel that we can no longer have any loyalty to the Pleasure Beach.

If, in fact, the Cyclone is being demolished so quickly it is clear it is an attempt to avoid having it spot listed as an historic structure in the way that the scenic railway at Margate’s Dreamland has been protected for future generations. We would strongly urge councillors to seek immediate spot listing to protect one of the last wooden roller coasters in this country. Please protect one of Southport’s greatest assets

We look forward to your comments,

Yours Faithfully

Kevin, Veronica, Niall and Ainsley James"

I would like think that all members have a duty to do what ever they can to help in this time of crisis.
kevin

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 14 Sep 2006, 19:32

Aw, Jeez. That's just sick.
Someone needs to take off work, go to city hall or wherever, and go raise an immediate objection before it's too late.

I hold one glimmer of hope that's it's being sectioned out because it's been sold. The photos posted don't show much, but reading the other messge board, it sounds like it's coming down fairly quickly.

That's just wrong.

Hideous link again:
http://www.southportforums.com/forums/s ... post578680
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby kevin » 14 Sep 2006, 21:19

I have just recieved this reply, has any else managed to contact Sefton council?

"Dear Kevin,

Many thanks for your email. I will forward it to the parliamentary candidate for Southport, Mark Bigley, who may be of more assistance to you than I can be, as Southport is not my constituency.

On a personal note, like you and your family, I am extremely disappointed that Pleasureland has closed down. My 12 year old daughter has a seasonal pass, and used to enjoy her visits with friends.

I will make enquiries through Mark as to what can be done regarding the Cyclone.

Regards,

Cllr. Debi Jones."
kevin

Postby DaveD » 14 Sep 2006, 22:49

I'm not as passionate about Roller Coasters as many people that have posted on here but we are talking about 69 years of fun and excitement lived out by generations of people and a structure that has passed unscathed through World War II, only to be left to the mercy of mindless paid thugs without giving it any hope of retribution.

There are many, many buildings and structures that are purely functional, built to serve a menial purpose and nothing more, which have faced much more public opposition than this ride.

Something that has given so much to so many people deserves an enormous amount of respect; yes, it's just a wooden roller coaster but it's a symbol of fun, of enjoyment that people relate to of many
different ages.

Too many Morbidly Obese Bureaucrats prefer to collect a top up wage on their pension while sitting on mindless councils around the country without having the balls to contest or even enter an argument about the preservation of key areas of a town they grew up in, sitting there thinking about the Shepherds Pie in the oven when they get home.

The sad thing is that these people are looked up to, considered to be of a certain level of intellect by the people who vote for them. They may have a certain social standpoint and a toffee-nosed upbringing but most of these gits have very little idea of what people want and aren't prepared to spend the time to canvass local opinion.

We have to do everything we can to fight our own little corner of this country or live with the consequences, like the people of Southport are right at this minute.

Dave D
DaveD

Postby Zoidstar » 14 Sep 2006, 22:53

spaceace wrote:There's an ongoing feud between the Council and that particular website. They feel the council aren't co-operative, the council sees them as an anti-council propaganda site. To be honest they're probably both half-right, and will no doubt sort it out eventually.

What web-site is that?

Bet the Traumatizer ends up at BPB...
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 14 Sep 2006, 22:57

At this rate, in 10 years, there won't be ANY wooden coasters left in your country.
It sickens me that no effort seems to have been made to even try to sell it.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 15 Sep 2006, 00:30

This council member's e-mail
mark@markbigley.com

I sent this:

Mr. Bigley,
It's come to my attention that the historic Cyclone rollercoaster at Pleasureland is being unceremoniously cut down. Has the need to redevelop and build yet more shopping brought us to this?
Certainly a buyer for this landmark structure could have been found and it been properly removed. An immediate cease order needs to be issued until the matter can be looked into. It may not be too late, but one more workday's worth of chain sawing will end any chance of the structure and an important part of local and national history being saved. Due to our time zone differences, you'll most likely read this in the morning, and immediate action will need to be taken. 72 hours for an inventory of the damage and an attempt to locate a buyer seems reasonable if not imperative.
Had it stood non operational and in disrepair, there would be little argument, but the Cyclone has been well maintained and operational until weeks ago.
Something must be done to preserve the recreational history of the 20th century, and you're the only one I can think of to contact who can make a difference.

Once it's gone, it's gone. Each wooden rollercoaster is unique as well as a unique experience, and holds memories for generations. I urge you to take action or please call someone who can.

Kyle W. Sund
San Francisco
Jim Douglas Jr.

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum