The Beautiful South. (Pt. 1 - Hayling Island)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

The Beautiful South. (Pt. 1 - Hayling Island)

Postby Gary » 06 Aug 2003, 18:24

Part 1: Hayling Island.

A bridge separates Portsmouth with Hayling and you cross it into another world.

My first impressions were of a place struggling to hold onto its seaside holiday resort destination whilst at the same time offering up tempting residence for the retired.

In amongst all this was FUNLAND.

This small park is a gem..almost a "thank-you" to the families of Hayling Island for staying put. I'm not really sure what I mean by that but normally I wouldn't expect to see a park like this in an area like this. Amusement Arcades, yes but a funfair..I'm really pleased it was there though and from the looks of things thriving too.

I admit I was only resident on Hayling for a week but other than the weekend it rarely got busy..The Island that is..not the Park.

I want to personally congratulate the owners via this board for their efforts. The rides are good and cheap to ride..There is a tremendous safe, family atmosphere even on Friday nights..

Compare Southport's Pinfari Manufactured and Anton Schwarzkopf designed "Wild Cat"..I'm sure it costs between £3 - £4 to ride with separate tkts..At Hayling £1.50 worth of tokens will offer up a virtual replica of the ride on Tornado but with sea views thrown in.

The log Flume (Ditto ) too is similar to the Southport model that once resided at Myrtle Beach but cost just half the price to ride in tickets/tokens.

From the official website:

Adult attractions include -Wild River Log Ride, Rocky Mountain Railroad, Indoor Go-Cart Track, Adventure Golf, Dodgems, Pirate Ship, Tornado and Breakdance.
Black Star Rides (ie kids' rides) - Couldrens, Funland Express, Childrens Pirate Ship, Train ride, Red Barron, Woodies Rollercoaster and Helter Skelter. The childrens' area will be covered from 2000 season giving you more reason to visit even in rainy weather and will be open weekends all year. Height Restrictions apply: All attractions are open subject to maintenance and weather conditions.
Special Offers available from Easter.-Telephone 023 92 462 820 to check off peak opening times or for more information.

Tokens for rides can be bought for the prices listed below. Small rides are charged at 1 token and up to 4 tokens for the major rides.

1 Token 50p
30 tokens £10.
50 tokens £15.
70 tokens £20.

Adult rides - 2 to 4 Tokens each.
Childrens' rides - 1 or 2 Tokens each.

Wristbands cost £5 (between 5pm - 9pm) and ALL rides were walk on.

The new Breakdance ride was attracting many people..(Er..like an Afterburner??..Sorry my Spin & Spew knowledge is limited.)

Next year THE DROP has been granted the OK for 2 years (Drop Tower)

Good luck to everyone associated with the park.

Away from Funland the Cantonese restaurant opposite the ONE STOP shop in West Town was without doubt one of the best ever take away meals my wife and I have ever tasted.

Add to this the beach and great water to swim in and you have a destination that may be off the beaten track but really shouldn't be.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Return to Seaside Forum