The Beautiful South (Part 2 - Brighton Pier)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

The Beautiful South (Part 2 - Brighton Pier)

Postby Gary » 07 Aug 2003, 21:13

The drive from Hayling Island to Brighton took longer than expected..due in main to the traffic heading towards 'Glorious Goodwood' and the bottle neck of traffic that was Worthing.

It had been a tossup between going to Blackgang Chine on The Isle of White or Brighton last wednesday..and I lost the toss. Seems my wife had her eye on shopping in "The Lanes" and seeing Brighton Pavillion.

To be fair Brighton was a great day out and not seeing Blackgang Chine gives me a reason to go back down south sometime soon.

We parked at The Withdene Stadium..(Temporary?) home to Brighton AFC. A park and ride deal operated from here and £2.40 for parking all day plus bus into town and back proved a very good deal. (Get there early though..the car park is not all that big!)

First up was Brighton Pier. I thoroughly enjoyed this place. It was vibrant, exciting and offered up some great rides at pretty good prices.

The Turbo Coaster (with loop) and Spinning Wild Mouse cost £2.50 each to ride. The fact that they are on a pier added to that air of excitement.
I have to admit that the mouse, when it did eventually spin at groundlevel, did make me dizzy but then I appear to be getting more prone to this as I grow older!!

There was a Ranger ride (£1.50)..Thanks but no thanks and a Wild River Log Flume complete with 2 drops (£2.50)..I would have tried this but it was down for maintenance.

I had to try the Helter Skelter. Nick has e mailed me photos of this in the past and I just wanted to try it out.

I honestly thought prices would be much higher than they were and the inevitable discounts were available if you bought tokens in bulk.

The Brighton Pavillion (free entrance) had some great exhibitions on. I would highly recommend "A Seaside Album: Photographs and Memory"
There were some magnificent pictures of Brighton during wet bank holidays in the past, pictures of mods and rockers, sunny days, the beach and crowds...the whole exhibition managed to capture the essence and spirit of a great seaside resort. It's on until October 2003. -Highly Recommended!!

Special mention to the Volks seafront railway..the world's first electric railway.

Only downer was the traffic chaos on the front caused by roadworks..It made it difficult to cross the road even when the lights were on red.

But I'm just nitpicking..Oh and yes, my wife LOVED the shopping! :?
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Graeme » 10 Aug 2003, 21:28

LOL, you're a dark horse, Gary, coming all this way down south! :D Can't believe you missed Blackgang Chine, but glad you enjoyed Brighton!

Yes, Hayling Island has a mini Afterburner, but I can never remember exactly what KMG call it.
Graeme

Return to Seaside Forum