Blackpool

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Blackpool

Postby EAS » 19 Apr 2007, 11:24

EAS

The Olympia and The Golden Mile Centre

Postby adethestokie » 27 Jul 2007, 19:18

Can anyone remember The indoor fair at the Olympia [Winter Gardens].
I remember going there as a child and they had a huge ferris wheel inside, as well as the usual Waltzers, Ghost Train and Merry go rounds.
There was an upstairs, and I remember a large racing track in which you went around quite fast in old fashioned metal cars.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?, and when did it close?

The other indoor fair was The Golden Mile centre, this again had some great rides including a Ghost Train with a dip in it..
I think this closed in the mid eighties, but not sure.. anyone know?
adethestokie

Postby adethestokie » 10 Aug 2007, 22:08

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I ... sure+beach

Just found this on youtube.. if you cant get a direct link.. try alternative way.. this was shot in the 50s..
adethestokie

Re: The Olympia and The Golden Mile Centre

Postby cliffc » 20 Oct 2008, 12:36

adethestokie wrote:Can anyone remember The indoor fair at the Olympia [Winter Gardens].
I remember going there as a child and they had a huge ferris wheel inside, as well as the usual Waltzers, Ghost Train and Merry go rounds.
There was an upstairs, and I remember a large racing track in which you went around quite fast in old fashioned metal cars.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?, and when did it close?

The other indoor fair was The Golden Mile centre, this again had some great rides including a Ghost Train with a dip in it..
I think this closed in the mid eighties, but not sure.. anyone know?

Hi

Yes indeed i can remember olympia and all of the rides you discribe i am sure that somewhere we have a photo of me as a small child in one of those metal cars you talk about. Mind you alot of our photos were passed on to a relitive when my mum passed away so i am not sure if that one is still in the collection, If i can find it ill scan it and post it here.

I cannot remember when it closed the golden mile center is still there but its now the building that is now the sealife center, and indoor market.

And there also used to be well in the late 60's and early 70's an out door fun fair on what is now central car park at the end of Hull Road.

The olympia building is still there its part of the Opra House and Winter Gardens building but its now only used for fairs (Record and CD's ones) and other such events.

Regards

Cliff C
cliffc

Return to Seaside Forum