Blackpool and the story of the ban on The Rolling Stones

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Blackpool and the story of the ban on The Rolling Stones

Postby Gary » 09 Aug 2008, 21:02

From: http://www.1039theeagle.com/rocknewsmarch.shtml (March 2008)

"The British city of Blackpool has lifted its 44 year old ban on the Rolling Stones performing in the city for the first time since 1964, when they were indefinitely banned following a riot at one of their concerts, according to Britain's The Telegraph.

The legendary show, which took place on July 24th, 1964 at Blackpool's Empress Ballroom, began with the unruly crowd spitting at the band's late guitarist Brian Jones. Keith Richards noticed a man with his hands on the stage inciting others to also spit at the band, which lead Richards to stomp on the man's hands and kick him in the face, which led to the 7,000 strong audience rioting.

Blackpool City Council leader Peter Callow said,

'They are icons and I for one would certainly welcome them back. It would certainly give me some satisfaction if they did play here.'

The Rolling Stones had no comment on being allowed back onstage in Blackpool"

Well...Blackpool's new arena has been given the go ahead..

Hmmm..

In the meantime I believe Vince Hill is appearing at The Theatre Royal sometime soon.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby EAS » 09 Aug 2008, 22:01

It would have to be without Brian Jones so maybe this time no riot?

Actually I suspect we are all too old to riot now...
EAS

Return to Seaside Forum