Morecambe: Local Council Order Polo Tower Clean-up

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Morecambe: Local Council Order Polo Tower Clean-up

Postby mrjimlowe » 06 Sep 2008, 14:39

From The Lancaster Evening News

http://www.lep.co.uk/morecambe-news/Freshen-up-the-polo-tower.4341256.jp

Freshen up the polo tower - or else

FRESHEN up the Polo Tower – that's the message from Lancaster City Council to the owners of Morecambe's giant former viewing attraction, because it is in far from mint condition.
Council officers have served a notice on owners Morrison's, ordering them to clean up the former Frontierland theme park tower because it looks a mess.
Inspect
The supermarket chain have deployed surveyors to inspect the site, scaffolding went up ADVERTISEMENT last week and the ensuing upgrade of the Polo Tower is expected to be finished by October.
At this stage Morrison's are unable to confirm exactly what these renovations will entail.
But they have ruled out re-opening the tower for its original use – as a revolving 'ride' with platform views overlooking Morecambe Bay.
The 168 foot tall Polo Tower, erected in 1994 and opened in 1995, was a half-million pound investment by then-Frontierland owners Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
The design was as a result of a sponsorship deal between Polo and Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Although initially the tower proved popular it soon fell into disuse and a state of disrepair.
Last October, Labour's Coun Ron Sands called for residents to boycott Polo mints until the shabby tower was pulled down because it was "neither a credit to Morecambe's spectacular seafront promenade nor the nation's favourite mint".
But Morrison's have a contract with a telecommunications company to use the Polo Tower as a mast until 2013.
Outline planning permission was granted in November 2005 for a mixed-use development on the derelict Frontierland site, at the same time as permission was granted for the Next, Homebase and JJB outlets which opened earlier this year.
The council has since received no specific plans for this development – which would include a hotel and residential flats – and the site remains partly covered by a mound of rubble.

greg.lambert@lmnews.co.uk

(Lancaster Evening News 30 July 2008)

This picture posted recently on Flickr.com shows the tower surrounded by scaffolding.

Regards

Jim Lowe

Website and Forum: http://www.northwestseasidetowns.co.uk
mrjimlowe

Postby mrjimlowe » 14 Sep 2008, 13:17

Hello

Here are the latest images from the Frontierland site at Morecambe.

I took these pictures on Saturday 13/09/08.

The cabin of the Polo Tower has now been removed to erect scaffolding.
The Log Flume Lake is a lot higher than last year as well, but there is no change to the Log Flume.

Last edited by mrjimlowe on 25 Feb 2009, 23:58, edited 2 times in total.
Regards

Jim Lowe

Website and Forum: http://www.northwestseasidetowns.co.uk
mrjimlowe

Postby EAS » 14 Sep 2008, 13:26

It's excellent news that the Polo Tower is being 'refreshed', it's a pity it won't be put back into full public operation, given that in other places these sort of 'viewing platforms' are seen as the latest attractions!

Missing a trick I think - maybe we should start a campaign?!

Seems it's owned by Morrisons.

I recall we had some posting about this on the defunct Southport site - wonder if Furie has the pics and posts from that he could transfer over to here?

This is more information:

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/visitor-fea ... 3120268.jp

Sad that the old Frontierland site has been sold off for retail use. Hardly going to bring folks flocking to the seaside, is it?
EAS

Postby furie » 08 Oct 2008, 11:31

EAS wrote:I recall we had some posting about this on the defunct Southport site - wonder if Furie has the pics and posts from that he could transfer over to here?

I have it all squirreled away on my home PC and a backup at work. Getting the forums back online may be a little difficult as I'd need hosting space.

I'm looking into making it an archive as part of CoasterForce, but time is very tight for me at the moment :(
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby EAS » 08 Oct 2008, 13:10

Thanks furie!

Not sure we need the forums, but the info on the Polo Tower if you ever get time!

xxx
EAS

Postby furie » 08 Oct 2008, 13:35

EAS wrote:Thanks furie!

Not sure we need the forums, but the info on the Polo Tower if you ever get time!

xxx

Sadly, this info was all part and parcel of the forums. To get it back, it needs me to reinstall the forums somewhere and get the database back online.

Bit of a chore to be honest :lol:

There was some great information about Morecambe in the forums though so it's worth getting back when I can.
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Return to Seaside Forum