Marc Almond Talks About Southport (BBC)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Marc Almond Talks About Southport (BBC)

Postby mrjimlowe » 14 Oct 2008, 15:26

Hello

I have uploaded a video to Youtube featuring former Soft Cell lead singer Marc Almond talking about his home town of Southport. This is from the series Inside Out North West which was broadcast on 1st October '08.

However, some information is about 2 years out of date, as he mentioned that he worked at Pleasureland but said "It's all pulled down now" !

Here is the video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs6YUPe1gfc
Regards

Jim Lowe

Website and Forum: http://www.northwestseasidetowns.co.uk
mrjimlowe

Postby porterm » 14 Oct 2008, 23:10

Facinating stuff there Jim - I never knew Marc Almond lived in Southport. I wonder if he was ever involved with the Save the Cyclone Campaign?

I thought it was nice that he gave the poor old park a favourable mention; as he said there aren't many of these "traditional" old seaside places left now. (I wonder if they edited out any other remarks maybe, like references to Classic Resorts and the like he may have made?!)

To think he used to be on the "hook a duck" stand too. He must have had some affection for the place and I'm sure he's sad about its sudden passing like most of us. He would have been a great figurehead to have had on our former saviour Campaign I reckon.

Maybe his former Soft Cell hit "Say hello, wave goodbye" could have had a more poignant meaning in recent times in his former home town.

All we can hope for, I guess, is a lucky park revival if the current New Pleasureland owners are given a chance to show what they can really offer Southport. With the current housing/development market economy maybe they might just get their opportunity.

Martin
porterm

Postby mrjimlowe » 15 Oct 2008, 14:28

Yes, it seems strange that the current leaseholders are staying on for at least another year.

Maybe Urban Splash are having problems raising the capital due to the current financial situation.
Regards

Jim Lowe

Website and Forum: http://www.northwestseasidetowns.co.uk
mrjimlowe

Hi

Postby cliffc » 20 Oct 2008, 12:06

mrjimlowe wrote:Yes, it seems strange that the current leaseholders are staying on for at least another year.

Maybe Urban Splash are having problems raising the capital due to the current financial situation.

Hi

i would think your correct Jim there is a huge shopping and houseing devolpement in Penrith that has had to be stopped as the main backers have pulled out.

May be if more people come to southport due to cash pressures and if the cost of petrol continuse to fall making travel cheaper then may be thay will give Norman the chance to devlope the site into a good perminant amusement park again, and prove to both the local council and the previous owners that the site can be an amuement park and profiterble.

Cliff C
cliffc

Postby EAS » 20 Oct 2008, 20:32

I suspect Urban Splash hasn't started any development as it will take a long while to draw up detailed plans and put them before the development control committee. These things aren't going to be instant.
EAS

Return to Seaside Forum