Joyland Bridlington not the same

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Joyland Bridlington not the same

Postby derek taylor » 02 Feb 2009, 21:06

maybe its just me or maybe others feel the same way its just that it saddens me when i walk through this new fangeled place they've called forum ok i more or less lived there in the 70s but to me its not like an amusement arcade any more in fact i think the place has been ruined there's no atmosphere there anymore the open yard area has gone along
with the ghost train and dodgem track i never really look hard enough but i dont even think i have ever seen a jukebox in there to me all things like this make up a proper amusement arcade i think its just a shame it would be nice to here other peoples views. thank's derek
x joyland service engineer 1970s
derek taylor

Postby Nick » 03 Feb 2009, 09:13

I agree that it is not the same as it was back in the 1970s. In fact, Joyland was fairly unique even back then, but now there is little if anything to compare it to. It had a fantastic atmosphere.

Now a plug: If anybody wants to find out more about what Derek is talking about, buy my book Pennies by the Sea, which tells the history of seaside amusement arcades using Bridlington's Joyland as the backdrop:

http://www.joylandbooks.com/books_new/joyland.htm

Derek is one of the contributors to the book.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Seaside Forum