The West Pier "COULD & SHOULD" be saved!

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

The West Pier "COULD & SHOULD" be saved!

Postby Gary » 20 Dec 2003, 18:42

So says English Heritage in an article in today's Guardian (20/12/03)

English Heritage convened a committee of engineers and architects to consider the fate of the pier which has been closed for nearly 30 years.

EH found that there was enough documentation to complete an architecturally accurate reconstruction of the Grade 1 listed pier.

There's still local opposition and a public enquiry to come but Rachel Clark (administrator for the trust) reckons if all goes to plan the West Pier could be open again in 2006...
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Nick » 21 Dec 2003, 09:45

That is great news. I can understand both sides of the argument with the West Pier, and I can understand why the Noble Organisation (Brighton/Palace Pier owners) object so strongly. But it would be great to see the work go ahead if only to prove to the arsonists - who have tried everything they can to stop this renovation - that they can't win by burning down listed structures.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » 21 Dec 2003, 09:46

That is great news. I can understand both sides of the argument with the West Pier, and I can understand why the Noble Organisation (Brighton/Palace Pier owners) object so strongly. But it would be great to see the work go ahead if only to prove to the arsonists - who have tried everything they can to stop this renovation - that they can't win by burning down listed structures.
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Seaside Forum