Walton Pier and the Roller Ghoster

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Walton Pier and the Roller Ghoster

Postby philfromhertford » 05 Jan 2004, 13:05

The first pier I ever went to was Walton Pier as a kid. We always used to stay at the Martello camp and regularily visit the Pier especially for the dodgems or the Roller Ghoster. Does anyone have any information on this wonderful dark ride? I've heard it's gone.
philfromhertford

Postby Nick » 05 Jan 2004, 14:52

The ride is still there but has been rethemed and will relaunch this summer with a new name. One of the members of this board, Graeme, has been monitoring progress with this ride. Graeme, can you shed any further light on this dark ride?

A photo of the Roller Ghoster appears alongside an article I wrote a couple of months ago for thegalloper.com. Click here: http://www.thegalloper.com/backstories/ ... rides.html

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » 06 Jan 2004, 20:11

Yes, it's now called "Twisted House". A facade has been built in front of the whole ride and there are lots of models in the windows, some of which seem to be from Great Yarmouth's old "Ghostblasters" attraction. In fact, Nick, I know you have been on Ghostblasters - can you give us any clue as to what new models/features may actually be inside the Walton ride now?

Also, the area around the ghost train that used to be outside is now totally enclosed. The waltzer has also been moved to the right of the ghost train, a space that has previously had a Superbowl ride on it and, before that, the ride where you went over a big hill (Barracuda?)

Actually, it'll be interesting to see what they put where the waltzer used to be (to the left of the ghost train).

Anyway, two pictures can currently be seen at these addresses:
http://www.amusementreview.co.uk/twisted_house.jpg
http://www.amusementreview.co.uk/twisted_house2.jpg

I went there a few weeks ago and they told me it was actually due to open the first Saturday of the Christmas holidays. However, I haven't actually been to check it out since, and it hasn't been in the press, so I don't know any more about it at present.
Graeme

Postby Graeme » 28 Feb 2004, 21:53

UPDATE:

I've seen the new Walton Pier brochure advert today, and the new attraction is actually called "Ghost Blasters" now.
Graeme

Postby lms » 23 Jul 2006, 13:10

The ride now has a haunted mine theme, but is still totally enclosed. Although the ride still follows the same track, as you approach the dip which hurtles you down one side and up the other, instead of letting gravity do the job it now brakes on the descent then slowly drags you back up. They've extended the pier roof over the ghost train and the ride next to it, which is now a kid's racing track.
lms

Return to Seaside Forum