Clacton Pier (The history)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby Chief Engineer » 30 Sep 2010, 21:12

One of the 14 artistes in 1932 who along with Rex Deering appeared in that first summer season of the Ramblas was comedian Billy May, the picture below is dated 1934 along with the program of that year.

Of course back then the artists had to multitask and would often perform in any of the other Pier theatres. 1935 has him staring in the ‘Jolly Roger’ cabaret.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Gary » 01 Oct 2010, 18:14

Brilliant Chief..Just brilliant.. Love these posts. :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby DolphinBoy » 01 Oct 2010, 20:44

I will second that! :D
DolphinBoy

Postby Chief Engineer » 01 Oct 2010, 22:29

Thanks for the great feedback and I am glad everyone is enjoying the past along with me. Working on the Pier you cant help but travel back to those days, even more so when the paddle steamer Waverley calls in, you can just imagine all the day trippers from London filing down the gangway for their days entertainment. Then just before it is time to head back home, take in the Ramblas show.

A sun drenched afternoon (I looked at the shadows) but sadly an undated photograph and just as frustrating the date on the right hand bill board is cut off, but from the artists staring in the 'Jolly Revellers' show later that night I am placing a date of 1935/7 on the scene.

As a lot of acts doubled up and performed in all of the Piers theatres, I am taking a guess that the four ladies in the polka dot dresses are possibly 'The Selma Four' as advertised on the left hand bill board.

A quick internet search has them listed in the BBC Radio Times supplement and to appear on the early days of TV has to prove their popularity of the day, well before "As seen on TV"

Wednesday 13th March 1937
3.0 ST. PATRICK'S DAY
IRISH DANCES
by LIAM CUFFE and MARY HOGAN
Accompanied by Leo Rowsome, Pipes
3.10 THE RADIO THREE
in Close Harmony Songs
3.20 BRITISH MOVIETONEWS
3.30 'PICTURE PAGE'
(Thirty-Seventh Edition)
A Magazine Programme of
Topical and General Interest
Devised, edited, and produced by
CECIL MADDEN
The Switchboard Girl: JOAN MILLER
4.0 CLOSE
9.0 MARIA LUTH
in Songs
9.5 THE SELMA FOUR
in their Musical Speciality

9.20 GAUMONT BRITISH
NEWS
9.30 'PICTURE PAGE'
(Thirty-Eighth Edition)
A Magazine Programme of
Topical and General Interest
Devised, edited, and produced by
CECIL MADDEN
The Switchboard Girl: JOAN MILLER
10.0 CLOSE

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 02 Oct 2010, 23:25

A couple of nice aerial views showing how popular the Rambla shows had become. The first is pre berthing arm and the second is c1935 and another sunny afternoon show again but sadly not enough detail to find out who was staring on stage, also of interest is the queue forming ready for Clown Bertram's show, the white lines on the decking marking out where to form an orderly line.

Time to pay your sixpence and settle down in that Pier deckchair for some afternoon entertainment brought to you by Bernard Polley, with an extract from his book, with thanks.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 03 Oct 2010, 19:30

Time to finish that cup of tea and settle down to the second half of the afternoon performance

Although Bernard never gave a date to this show, after sifting through the cast photographs helped with Bernard's research on each of the performers and the years they stared in the Ramblas, I have narrowed it down to 1954

The cast of that year, Gordon Henson, Frank Penrose, Gilbert Wardon, Paul Sharratt with his wife Joan Jenkins, Sandra Wells, Mary More followed on her own Claire Ruanne.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 04 Oct 2010, 20:42

Sadly we all know the sea is very unforgiving at times but on the 5th August 1954 the heroic actions of Frank Penrose made sure the sea did not claim another young life.

Well done Frank!
CE
Chief Engineer

The old swimming pool on Clacton Pier

Postby leezos » 18 Oct 2010, 15:22

Hello everyone. I would just like to say what a fantastic forum this is. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me. What they are going to do with the old swimming pool. And what are the plans for the future for this area which is no longer in use. kind regards to you all leezos
leezos

Postby Chief Engineer » 19 Oct 2010, 22:18

Hi everyone, sorry for the short interlude, to continue with ongoing success of the Rambla concert parties here are some newspaper clippings that introduce some of the artists who have featured on that open air stage:-

?
CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 19 Oct 2010, 22:38

Hi leezos,

Welcome to the forum.

The swimming pool area is going to undergo a transformation and be brought back into providing additional family attractions , but due to other ongoing developments this will not be happening for a while.

Three new combined themed attractions will be utilising the area. A small part of the main swimming pool will be utilized for one of the attractions along with two larger attractions taking up the bulk of the area. The presently closed arcade in the middle of the Queen Mary building will be opened up to provide a large access to the new attractions which when completed will make a sizable increase to the outside ride area.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby leezos » 21 Oct 2010, 03:29

Hello Mr engineer.

thank you for the feedback.

. I wonder if you can answer some more questions?

If it is possible Could you please take some photographs of this area in its present condition so we can see what it's like now?.

Can you tell us what these theme attractions will be?

I am loving the history and the photographs and the newspaper clippings you have posted on here.
Kind regards leezos
leezos

Postby Chief Engineer » 28 Oct 2010, 22:12

Apart from a short break during the war years, the Rambla's summer shows entertained the visitors to Clacton Pier for many years. Here are a couple of links to two brief clips giving a glimpse of an early show, year unknown, followed by a view of a show from 1961.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Aq0IF4WeMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DVbBESbsY

1964 saw the end of the Rambla shows, traditional seaside entertainment was changing, theatres and variety shows were becoming less popular with the holiday visitors. September, the end of the summer season saw the final outdoor Rambla concert along with a Grand Benefit Performance to mark the end of an era of entertainment.

The cast of 1964

1964 show

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 30 Oct 2010, 00:05

I have been scratching my head on this picture trying to find out any information on who might have owned and operated this miniature circus, but so far have drawn a blank.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 24 Nov 2010, 23:36

A few more early photographs of the Steel Stella in the early days of its construction. Although no constructional plans seem to have survived of how it was built, this wonderful set of photographs detailing how the work was progressing would certainly provide a good guide to produce a replica, just a shame that for modern day use it probably breaks all the Health & Safety rules, but it would certainly be a seat of the pants ride if it made it back.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Gary » 25 Nov 2010, 18:00

Just when I thought the images couldn't get any better! :D

The Clacton Threads are legendary and so are you Chief! :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum