Clacton Pier (The history)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Re: Clacton Pier (The history)

Postby KNIGHTRO » 14 Oct 2013, 22:22

I and my wife had a holiday in Clacton-on-Sea for a few days at the end of August 2013, we stayed at the Travelodge, very nice.
The reason we went was for a nostalgic look around as we lived in St Osyth for couple of years after ten years in the army, I was offered a job as the manager of Mill Dam lake, and my wife ran the café, it was the start of settling down again.
We went to sea at the Westcliffe theatre the music of the 70 t fantastic, I think it was the theatre I did the flower drum song in about 1966,for a Lady called Doreen who I think ran the amateur dramatics at that time.
I'm thinking how did Stagehand get his name on this forum.
I was looking through the some pages of history of Clacton so my wife and I could reflect on things before we arrived and what did I see, YES A PICTURE OF THE PROGGRAME FROM THE OCEAN REVUE 1954, THE VERY SAME PROGRMME I HAVE IN THE CUBOURD BEHIND ME AND MINE HAS ALL THE SIGNATURES ON FROM THE LAST NIGHT OF THE SHOW, as I yes I was in the show.
More next time if anyone is interested.
thank you KNIGHTRO.
KNIGHTRO

Postby Stagehand » 03 Nov 2013, 11:32

Chief Engineer wrote:An expensive yet valuable lesson was learnt back in 1956 when the lighthouse slip ended up blown onto the Queen Mary sundeck.

The Lighthose slip in the picture did survive with some repairs, but it is not the one presently on the Pier, which of course is well secured from suffering the same fate.
CE

Oppps it's happened again 8) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-24702946
I should Know I worked there
Stagehand

Postby KNIGHTRO » 03 Nov 2013, 15:48

I mentioned the name Stagehand in my article on the 1954 ocean revue programme as I thought Stagehand had worked at the theatre with a name like that, good luck to Clacton-on-Sea
KNIGHTRO

Postby Stagehand » 03 Nov 2013, 16:49

Hi Knightro your thoughts are correct. I was connected with the Ocean theatre & the Jolly Roger from and early age as my father was the resident Scenic artist for both theatres from 1950 until the mid 60's. I became a full time stage hand at the age of 16 but had been helping out backstage from the age of 8, and became assistant stage manager age 21. It was a very sad day the ocean theatre finally closed & an even sadder day to see the stage being removed to turn a theatre into what is now a amusement arcade. unfortunately all that remain are very fond memories of all the personalities that passed through over the years.
Stagehand

Swimming Pool

Postby kevin » 01 Dec 2013, 21:47

Hello Chief Engineer, we visited the pier at about 4.30 - 5 pm today, it seems there is lots of activity in the swimming pool with a mini digger trying to break down one of the partitions that divided the pool up when it was used for the dolphins and seals. It looked as if the digger had broken down!

What a fantastic view into the pool, now that the arcade containing the train ride has been knocked through! what are the plans for this area?
kevin

Postby KNIGHTRO » 17 Jan 2014, 21:21

Its the first time I have seen the film fantastic, even more so as stagehand probably knows that I was in the stage show the ocean revure in 1954 and still have the programme with most of the cast signatures , all my children and grand children have seen it. also did a couple of shows at the Westcliffe or other theatre for a girl called Dorean ? , I think she married local after 1954 show may have managed operatic shows or amature dramatics did flower drum song about 1965 for her , anyone now of her my wife and I would love to now , one of the girls I danced with in the ocean revure . NKIGHTROhttp://www.joylandbooks.co.uk/f ... =6&t=1921#
KNIGHTRO

Postby Pier of the realm » 28 Jan 2014, 22:47

As its been a while since the last Clacton Pier update, I thought that it was about time that a new post was added. I have the great pleasure of working along side the Chief Engineer as part of my job at the pier and as he's been a bit to busy lately to keep the forum rolling I thought that I would provide an update on some of the work thats been taking place.

As Kevin said in his post back in December some of our team have been busy working round by the old swimming pool, this work has involved clearing the area to allow us to carry out some essential structural repairs to this part of the pier. In total 20 lorry loads of rubble and hardcore we're removed from the former swimming pool, a process which kept a 3 tonne digger, two dumpers and four members of staff busy for almost 9 days.

This area of the pier has been closed to the public for the best part of 20 years and so the pier owners have been keen to put it back into service since their takeover in 2009. Once all the works to clear, upgrade and refurbish this area are complete we are hoping to add a new attraction to the pier in time for the Whitsun (may half term) holidays this year. Unfortunately we're not able to release any more details at this moment in time, but will be sure to as work progresses.
Pier of the realm

Postby prm246 » 18 Feb 2014, 12:33

I am researching the history of three "Baby" Bugattis bought by Ernest Kingsman in March 1928 directly from the Bugatti factory in Molsheim. In November 1929 Clacton Pier Limited resold one of the three cars to the family that still owns it 85 years later. The bill of sale is signed H. E. Kingsman. I am carrying out this research for an article for the Society of Automotive Historians in Britain, and also for the current owner. This is purely amateur research - I have no commercial interest in this information but I would like to find out as much as I can for the owner and for the article.

Peter Kingsman was mentioned in recent posts. I wonder if Peter has any knowledge of these three cars, what they were used for and what happened to the other two. These cars were high-quality small versions of the full-sized Bugattis, made in the factory and powered by a small electric motor. They were suitable for children of around 6-8 years, so I presume that Ernest Kingsman bought them as a Pier attraction for children.

I would be very grateful for any information to complete the history for the current owner, and to make my historical article as complete as possible.
prm246

Postby Stagehand » 09 Apr 2014, 07:21

It's been some time since I board walked the old girl :roll: (The Pier) :lol: . So yesterday whilst out for a stroll I decided to investigate what changes had occurred since my last visit. Well I was glad to see that the Paratrooper ride is still in existence as it must now be at least 35 years old having been delivered new in the early 70's. Along side is a new thrill ride for those who like to be projected skywards at great speed :mrgreen: , all the other rides are the same as past years. :D

As I had been a pool attendant when the swimming pool was operational I had to investigate what was occurring with the alterations being taken. On inspection the two bays of amusement's that were beneath what was the Queen Elisabeth sundeck have been completely removed, this gives a clear view through what is a vacant arcade to the old pool area with all the concrete structures from the former dolphinarium still in place, which surprised me as there has been talk about a new attraction being in place for Easter this year. Taking a walk to the pier head nothing much has changed except for some new planking. I must pay complement to the owners by the way they are slowly getting the old girl back on her feet and might just think about getting the Jolly Roger back into a working live end of the pier theatre, similar to Cromer and Yarmouth.
Stagehand

Postby Guy Belshaw » 16 Apr 2014, 16:04

Hi All,
What a fascinating forum with photos i never dreamed i would see, such as the construction of the Steel Stella.
My grandparents ran a Guest House in Clacton, so during my 1960's childhood spend 3 weeks every summer at Clacton with many visits to The Pier.
Not sure if this is the right thread , but see attached a photo of a poster for the Ocean Review of 1935.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (71.97 KiB) Viewed 16449 times
Guy Belshaw

Postby Stagehand » 16 Apr 2014, 19:44

Hello Guy welcome yes this is the correct place especially if you have any further items connected with the Ocean Theatre or the Jolly Roger as a lot of both the theatres historic items were sent to the tip back in the 70's as being deemed as junk. :x
Stagehand

Postby Guy Belshaw » 17 Apr 2014, 06:57

What a shame, but pleased the Kingsman family took and kept so many photos.
Will see what else i can find, but it is the poster i have.
I saw many productions at the Ocean including the weekend big star shows,Dick Emery, stands out even Reg Varney was given top billing.
Nice to see the Ball family have installed a Roller Coaster ,similar in design to the mighty Steel Stella.

I met members of the Harrison family, while researching for a book on a family of travelling showmen who the Harrison's, originally fairground showmen from the west of England,where associated with.
Guy Belshaw

Postby Guy Belshaw » 22 Apr 2014, 18:16

Dodgem Photo
Bought this on ebay a few years ago,Dodgems July 1947.
Attachments
DODGEMS CLACTON PIER 25th July 1947.jpg
DODGEMS CLACTON PIER 25th July 1947.jpg (429.37 KiB) Viewed 16398 times
Guy Belshaw

Postby Frank Adey » 25 Apr 2014, 11:25

Hi I Have been told many times by both my parents, that Frank was the son of Frank Senior...Because of the break up at the Ocean revue which my dad was stage manger, Frank senior never mentioned his son, and cut off all links...so not sure of times or dates, or why this happened.
Indeed as an artist painter, I developed a character 'The Victorian photographer' I was at the Queens Theatre with my old plate camera, and was introduced to Roy Hudd and his wife...who were very interested in my relation to Frank, as he had not heard about a Son. I mention this not to cause or strir any problems or indeed claim any inheritance..but just to set the records straight.
Because of the anger of what went one, my Father said he also would not ever talk or see to Frank again. ( several times I asked about him to Dad and indeed was keen to visit, but this never happened and then Frank senior died...there are not photos that I have about this time from my parents...But if you check with the records at Ocean review...you may well find the Stage manger, from the early days of the review?
Thanks Frank (Francis) Adey (jnr, or minor) http://portrait-artist-frankadey.co.uk/
Frank Adey

Postby Frank Adey » 25 Apr 2014, 11:27

The Queens Theatre was in Barnstaple North Devon where I met Roy Hudd, we have lived in Devon for the last thirty years. I am now 68 years old
Frank Adey

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum