Clacton Pier (The history)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby FATBOY » 26 Mar 2011, 15:17

Alan wrote:i was at Clacton friday so had to take a look at the new ride on the pier, it looked like most of the work was done but still had to put more work into it, looking good.

Alan

PS also building work going on inside the main entrance along the right side as you go in.

that'll be the new bowling alley/alleys being built in what was the old oscars nightclub
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 27 Mar 2011, 21:50

Hi Kevin,

You are of course correct, the 'sister' ride to Stella was built at South Shields. Earlier I had been reading an article on a figure of 8 coaster built in 1931 at Skegness for Butlins and just got Skegness on the brain.

Hi Alan,

Yes the last bit of track slipped in on Friday night, just a few platforms and access ladders to bolt on over the weekend and that should see all the main structural work complete.

A few more pictures below of how the construction is progressing.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby DolphinBoy » 27 Mar 2011, 22:12

Hi CE
Looking good! I love the camera shots, guessing you was pretty high up?
I had another look today and it has some pretty steep drops and also has increased in size since I last see it.
I love rollercoasters so steeper the better :wink:
I took a photo from the beach today (only had my phone so not very good quality) I had to post it as the skyline is very deja vu :D

DolphinBoy

Postby Gary » 28 Mar 2011, 18:44

Wonderful pics.

Reminds me very much of Southport Pleasureland's Pinfari WildCat and a similar ride at South Shields' Ocean Beach.

..or even The Viper (Barry Island / Knowsley Safari Park??) :D

A great addition to Clacton!! :D

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Graeme » 01 Apr 2011, 22:56

Can't wait to ride this! The pier feels even more "classic" now, with the roller coaster, heltzer skelter and carousel. I hope it's a big success.
Graeme

Postby Graeme » 15 Apr 2011, 21:13

Stella's Revenge - what a great name! Looks like a nice, traditional coaster. Can't wait to ride it.

Graeme

Postby Chief Engineer » 15 Apr 2011, 23:24

Hi everyone,

Soon, very soon, I will keep you posted on when the opening day will be, still a lot to do.

As the pictures show all the main structure and track are in place and hopefully the start of next week should see a lot of the pneumatics and electrical systems put in place, by mid week hopefully you should see a couple of cars making an appearance, then its a few days of testing to make sure everything is working how it should.

But you don't have to take my word that it will all working correctly, the ride is then inspected by three independent engineers, each engineer inspects and tests the different engineering, structural, electrical and control systems that make up the ride, this also includes all the structural tests carried out over the winter period when the ride was in its component parts, once they are satisfied that all is correct the ride will be issued an 'Initial Test' along with a 'D.O.C' that annually each ride has to obtain for the Pier to open the ride to the public, same as a MOT on a car.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby cubwolf » 16 Apr 2011, 16:19

Im in Clacton for a week from the 7th May so if you can have it sorted for then it would be lovely
:wink:
cubwolf

Postby Bob » 20 Apr 2011, 09:40

Well acording to the Clacton Pier Web site the first rides on it will be this easter
Bob

Postby marc » 20 Apr 2011, 17:03

acording to the Clacton Pier Web site it looks like the coaster will not be open this weekend.

has the Waltzer been sold ?
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby Chief Engineer » 20 Apr 2011, 22:34

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on Stella's Revenge, although we rolled on three of the cars tonight, there is still a few days work left to do along with the testing. Problems with some of the control equipment has meant the firm installing this part of the rides safety system have been delayed till Friday, fingers crossed all will go well and that possibly Stella will open at least part of the Easter weekend.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby marc » 23 Apr 2011, 20:08

where was Stella's Revenge located before comeing to Clacton?
When to the pier Good Friday and was inpressed with all the inpoverments. Had a spin on the skid for all times. is there any plans for another dark ride?
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby faro » 01 May 2011, 11:09

really pleased about the new roller coaster on clacton pier.always thought they could do so much more with all that available space.is the swimming pool still there,i haven't been to clacton for years and wondered what happened to that side of the pier!!!
many thanks
faro

Postby FATBOY » 02 May 2011, 16:43

the pool is still there. but its a bit derelict now. apparenlty they are going to be doing something with that part in the future? chief engineer knows what.

good pics on this site of what the pool looks like now

http://www.clactondolphins.co.uk/
FATBOY

Postby Gary » 02 May 2011, 17:09

marc wrote:where was Stella's Revenge located before comeing to Clacton..?

Barry Island.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum