Clacton Pier (The history)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby Chief Engineer » 16 Aug 2010, 23:52

Hi DB,

Thanks for adding those two fantastic pictures , remarkably good quality considering their age and of course informative of what was going on for that particular year. The Pier has never stood still when it comes to trying to bring something new to entertain, nearly each year there is a change of some sort and back in its earliest years was no exception.

Although the old Pier has changed beyond recognition, a few of the original timber piles still poke out from the sand and there are still some of the original beam timbers that support the decking joists still in place today, some look as good as the day they were first installed.

From the Kingsman collection I have attached two vintage photographs showing the Pier a few years later on, those piling rigs make an appearance again in 1891 with quite a few people at the end of the Pier, possibly waiting for a boat. 1893 shows Pier Gap with its parade of shops leading down to the Pier.

CE

Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 19 Aug 2010, 21:57

This seems like a good place to slip in this Post Card franked 1908, featuring the slightly strange content of the crew of the 'Sunbeam' tied up along the Pier with plenty of onlookers from the Pier deck.

This particular ship or possibly an 'Oyster Smack' might be Sunbeam CK328, built in 1881 by Howard of Whitstable and still sailing today in local sea races. I am hoping to trace the present day owner to see if any names can be put to the crew back then.

The interesting thing about working on a Pier with such a diverse history is uncovering the occasional find, this huge hook was found under the decking while recently carrying out some joist repairs up by the Jolly Roger.
The hook although now quite a distance from the edge of the Pier is actually bolted through one of the original timbers that would have formed the outside edge of the Pier back in the 1900's and may well have been used by the crew of the Sunbeam to tie up to.

And no, they did not have Fanta back then, I thought it would give you an idea of the hooks size.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 19 Aug 2010, 22:18

Just hopping back to the damaged caused to the Pier when a German mine hit the Pier, Dolphin Boy kindly sent me two photographs, one is obviously the aftermath of the mine hitting the Pier, the second photograph is a little more teasing, it might have the Pier in the time of the First World War being prepared to be breached if necessary or possibly Clacton's Jetty during WW2 being demolished?

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 22 Aug 2010, 00:29

It did not take long after Mr. E. Kingsman first purchased the Pier to introduce a dance hall.

The Blue Lagoon Dance Hall first opened its doors on the eastern side of the Pier and for a decade it provided the place to be in Clacton till eventually the new bigger Blue Lagoon building on the western frontage of the Pier took over the roll, as featured previously,

The album dated 1924/5 that features the photographs below mentions that this was the 3rd generation of the Blue Lagoon building. The undated postcard gives us a glimpse of the inside of the building.

I have been trying to find out who would have provided the musical entertainment back then, with not much luck. A few names who appeared on the Pier have popped up in searches for that 10 year period, but not directly connected with the Blue Lagoon.

1928 Stephenson's Excelsior Circus
1929 Dorothy Charlton at the piano.
1929 Ernest A Plumpton Maurice Cowan's Clacton Revels.
1930 Lallie Cogan, Comedy, Dancing.
1935 Bob E Bent & May Comedy, Music, Dancing

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 25 Aug 2010, 20:28

A little bit more of the social history of holiday making from a photographic album titled 'Pier Scenes' 1931taken by E. Kingsman.

Music undoubtedly a played a big part in the entertainment on the Pier in its heyday, so of course very much like today at any big music event, there will be a shop trying to sell you the 'merchandise' and looks like the Pier was no exception. 78 records and song sheets seemed to be available at this kiosk.

Above the girls head, the poster advertises Teddy Dobbs and his Brookland Band.

John at "Vintage Jazz and Dance Band Music
on 78rpm Records and Talkies

http://www.jabw.demon.co.uk

informs me that the Teddy Dobbs’ band made some records in 1932, and that the musicians were:

Teddy Dobbs – director/conductor (he was also drummer on the records)
Jack Warne – trumpet
Bill Taylor, Jack Raine – clarinet/alto sax
Bill Hammond – clarinet/tenor sax
Tom Nichol – piano/accordion
Les Sourbits – guitar/banjo
Bill Cousins – string bass

The song sheets on the counter are:-

When I met Sally at the Seaside
Lady of Spain
If I had my time over Again

No doubt some of these songs featured in the performances in the Pier Theatres.

CE

Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 25 Aug 2010, 22:16

Another fantastic night time view of the Pier, I am putting a date of 1938 on this image.

The banner on the hand rail in front of the Blue Lagoon is advertising 'The Eugene Mermaids'

A show certainly not to be missed in the swimming pool!

CE
Last edited by Chief Engineer on 10 Sep 2010, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 31 Aug 2010, 22:19

This 1939 dated photograph at first seems quite a normal holiday scene showing the Venetian Bridge with people out to enjoy themselves, however reading the accompanying notes tells the true reason the picture was taken. Mr. Kingsman comments on how the 'Hawking' photographers are holding up the potential customers and of course potential revenue loss to the Pier.

In 1928 it was estimated that there were 20 local photographers and hawkers with a further 45 from elsewhere travelling to Clacton to earn a living. Clacton's Improvement Act of 1905 already limited the numbers hawkers, with the provision of fines imposed against offenders. In 1928 the Act was amended to restrict the numbers of general hawkers to 6, 3 photographers and 1 newspaper vendor but to also increase the number of council kiosks, even back then the local council had a vested interest in restricting illegal trading.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 02 Sep 2010, 23:17

Sunday the 7th of August 1938 and a good view of the Rifle Range that ran until the mid 1960's, possibly using Winchester pump-action gallery rifles with "Short" .22 rim-fire cartridges.

I have been trying to work out what was housed in the larger part of the building which seems to have had a frontage adjacent to the Steel Stella’s entrance, any ideas?

CE

Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 05 Sep 2010, 00:28

A few of views of the Ocean Theatre in both its original construction and how it ended its days as a theatre. A lot of the old parts of the original theatre building still survive covered up by the start of the reconstruction and modernisation of theatre. The full plans of the modernisation never got completed before the theatre gave its last performance, with the stage being removed and the building taking on a new role.

Hal Bryan, a musical comedy artiste is appearing on stage in one of the earlier photographs and the bill board in the later photograph has Mike & Bernie Winters as the main attraction for that week which was possibly post 1971 when the Pier changed ownership.

The 'Ocean Theatre' neon sign seems a little bit lost on the cladding above the entrance.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 07 Sep 2010, 21:18

Most years I have either watched or heard that the annual 'Round the Pier Swim' had taken place, it was not until the local Gazette published an article on the successful winner being presented with the 'Kingsman Cup' that I realised there must be a connection with the Pier Swim and of course the Kingsman family.

I had to ask Peter Kingsman if he had any memories of how the 'Kingsman Cup' came to be, although Peter could remember the Cup being in the family home and that it dated from the Napoleonic era, sadly Peter could not give me any further information apart from a photograph of his Father Barney presenting the cup on 31/8/1935 in the Pier's swimming pool area to an unknown swimmer who had completed 220 yards in 3m and 7 seconds.

It would be interesting to find out when the 'Round the Pier Swim' came about but also if anyone recalls the Walton Pier to Clacton Pier swim as advertised.

With an estimated duration of nearly 4 hours for the last swimmer to make it back to Clacton, it must have been a gruelling swim.

CE

Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 09 Sep 2010, 21:06

A rather busy day on the Pier, but can you find 'Lobby Lud' in the crowd?

The Westminster Gazette launched him on the world in its July 30, 1927, edition, renaming its reporter Willy Chinn after the telegraph address used by its Lobby correspondents at Ludgate Circus. The paper printed Lobby's trademark photograph for the first time, gave a brief description of his appearance and listed the clothes he'd been wearing when last seen. He'd be touring Britain's seaside resorts throughout the summer, it announced, starting with a Bank Holiday visit to Great Yarmouth on Monday, August 1.

Any Gazette reader with a copy of that day's paper who challenged him with the precise words “You are Mr Lobby Lud - I claim the Westminster Gazette prize”, would win £50. That prize would climb to £100 if Lobby remained undetected for one week, £150 after two weeks, and £200 after three weeks. Two days later, this was amended to say that only the first successful challenger each day would get a prize, but otherwise the competition's core rules remained unchanged.

In this first shaping of the idea, the Gazette presented Lobby as a fugitive, casting its readers as the pursuing detectives. The £50 was described as a “reward” for their “detection” of what the paper called “a Missing Man”.

Sorry, No prize this time if you spot him in the photograph.

CE

Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 09 Sep 2010, 22:00

August 1938 and I hope you have got your sixpences ready to ride the 'Steel Stella'

The picture also answers my earlier question in the Rifle Range posting of what else accompanied building and it looks like we see the first appearance of a 'Ghost Train' ride on the Pier.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 11 Sep 2010, 00:07

I am taking a guess at 1936 for this aerial shot with the interesting capture of an ride named 'Speedway' sitting in what will be the Steel Stella's position on the outside slab.

I have tried to search for a similar ride/attraction, with no luck. Looking at the banking on the corners I am guessing its going to be some sort of quite fast ride.

Any Ideas?

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 12 Sep 2010, 21:32

When the all theatres on Clacton Pier were in full swing they certainly provided employment for lots of performers, artiste and musicians through the summer seasons. Some of those early entertainers started their careers at Clacton, with a few becoming household names. There is one particular performer whose name is instantly remembered when recalling famous entertainers of Clacton Pier.

Albert Edward Harvey arrived in Clacton in 1922 for a one-week trial but stayed continuously for 18 seasons until the outbreak of the war. He captivated both
children and adults with his banjo, conjuring tricks, a ventriloquist act, and children’s
competitions. Initially performing in the open air, his shows became so popular that he had his own Children’s Theatre built near the pier head.

But you don't have to read my words to hear how Albert got his big break, here is a rare clip of Barney Kingsman recalling how his Father gave Albert his first trial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9IVs1CkoOQ

A few photographs of people waiting for the theatre doors to open showing how popular his shows had become.

CE
Image[/url][/code]
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 13 Sep 2010, 22:57

There can't be many entertainers who had a theatre especially built to host their show in.

Albert Edward Harvey better known as Clown Bertram certainly proved so popular with his children's theatre held in the 'Jollity' that he soon moved to his own purpose built theatre.

Chief Engineer

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum