Folkestone Seafront

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Folkestone Seafront

Postby porterm » 31 Oct 2009, 07:07

Hi all - just thought I'd share my thoughts on a recent visit to Folkestone's former Rotunda amusement site. I braced myself for a disappointing encounter, however, I considered the reality to compare itself worse than some parts of Brooklyn, New York. (No disrespect as I loved visiting Coney Island a couple of years back).

Folkestone during late September however was truly shocking, in my opinion. As I entered the barrackaded area next to the former cafe/coffee/tea building I noticed a warning sign stating one entered at their own risk. The area was completely decimated, and although, in my opinion, never quite the perfect paradise now resembled more of a war zone. Even the former Boating Lake restaurant had been demolished and everything around it was just in a very poor state.

I can honestly say I feel that I would not be sorry to never see this place again really. If I can I'll post a sorry picture, however, I can see why the Leas Lift has been struggling with this area as a potential visitor destination. If anyone thought the Dreamland site has been in a sorry state over this last decade then I would suggest a visit to this seaside town would be a good tonic.

A local harbour ice cream seller told me that the Rotunda site's earmarked future investment had stalled owing to the current state of the economy. Hardly a surprise there, but surely the place could have been left in a more attractive state.

Martin
porterm

Return to Seaside Forum