Clacton Pavilion 1935/2010

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Clacton Pavilion 1935/2010

Postby Chief Engineer » 24 Feb 2010, 21:59

Welcome to the history of Clacton Pavilion, I thought I ought to take a short walk from my usual place of work to celebrate the 75 years of entertainment that the present Pavilion building has brought both holiday maker and locals alike. Sadly 75 years is going to be the limit on the present building, in a few weeks the builders will be knocking it all down to make way for a new centre of entertainment, of course it is not for the first time that the Pavilion has undergone such a transformation, the present building replacing the original one back in 1935.

I am sure most people who grew up enjoying the occasional show, beauty contest or any of the other forms of entertainment that the 'Clacton Urban District Council Entertainments department staged will be sad at the buildings demise, but I am sure a new generation will probably have the same thoughts in 75 years time when the phoenix does it all again.

Unfortunately I do not have as much historical documents and insight on the Pavilion as I do for Clacton's slightly bigger brother, the Pier, but I have a few which will hopefully stir some memories from others who I would love to contribute for all to enjoy.

CE

When times were fun, a picture taken on top of the Pavilion back in 1971
Chief Engineer

Postby Paul281 » 25 Feb 2010, 12:02

It's a shame they're pulling it down, but it was looking a bit shabby last time I visited Clacton, especially when you looked down on it from above.

Back in the mid to late 80's, I used to think it had the best arcade, as a few of the games there were not only the old electromechanical type, there were a few more up to date.

It was there that I had my first (and only!) ride on a mechanical rodeo bull!

Who remembers the motorbikes they used to have above back in the mid 80's, the 3 wheeled off-road type? I managed to clatter into the outside barrier, with my knee getting in between bike and barrier. A lovely shade of purple my knee went!!
Paul281

Postby FATBOY » 28 Feb 2010, 13:29

are they actually starting next week? i noticed up on the top bit that it was being boarded up so that you could not look down into the centre part. the building was very very delapidated and looked awful (obviously the sea air is very very damaging) it was talked about for years they were going to redevelop the site, but cant beleive there actually starting. are they going to have some bowling alleys there???? i reckon i should get down there and get plenty of pics before it goes....
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 04 Mar 2010, 23:08

Hi Fatboy,

Yes the digger demolition has started, but its not going to be as brutal to the main part of the building as one might think. The plans show that the main bones of the building are actually going to be retained with an additional floor being installed to give the new 'Pavilion' a lot more floor space to accommodate the bowling. Of course I am sure we will see a nice modern facade that will cover over any of the original building, but it is nice to think it will live on.

CE

The digger ripping down part of the old entrance:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vK-taeVHs

New working youtube link
Last edited by Chief Engineer on 06 Mar 2010, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 04 Mar 2010, 23:16

Time to remember the good old days.

Not very PC these days but in the Pavilion's summer season, beauty contests were very well attended, I wonder why! It would be great if we see some replies from former contestants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znrlqfa3JcU

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 04 Mar 2010, 23:40

1939 Clacton-on-Sea and The Pavilion provides a training base for John Henry Armstrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPBZSimzv9E
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 05 Mar 2010, 20:53

that digger video doesnt work chief????
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 10 Mar 2010, 00:18

Here are a few up-to-date pictures giving a left to right view of the outside stage .

Chief Engineer

Great Photos!!

Postby DolphinBoy » 11 Mar 2010, 19:50

Fantastic photos CE, although a tad sad to see it all go, look at them lovely pillars!! :(
Nice photos for the archive of it all :)
DB
DolphinBoy

Postby FATBOY » 11 Mar 2010, 20:46

excellent pictures mr engineer. i take it you asked permission to go and have a look?? would love to have a look around! i did take a look down there last saturday and saw that the front entrance had gone. has it been totally cleared of gaming machines? or have any been dumped? would love an old arcade machine to go in my workshop? couldnt point me in the right direction mr engineer? also who owns the site? harrisons? they did at one point didnt they? is the bucking bronco still there? and who remembers the fazer force thing they used to have there? was a big room to the left of the bandstand? therre was stairs down from up the top(where the art gallery bit was) down to the bottom? im sure the fazer force room was right under the pavement(under the crazy golf???)
FATBOY

Postby FATBOY » 11 Mar 2010, 22:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3BAf-QKIWQ

great little story. and good to see he lives on!! :D
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 13 Mar 2010, 01:29

Hi fatboy,

What a great little story and I am glad someone saved the Pavilion laughing clown. The Pier had a very similar clown, it might be even be the same one as I do not recall what happened to ours and although the clothes are different, he might have had a make over, I will see what I can find out.

Here is a snippet of the Piers clown curtsey of the 'Pet Shop Boys' The laugh lives on and on and on in your mind forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No13Au3y_3Y
Chief Engineer

Gaming / Arcade Machines

Postby cliffc » 18 Mar 2010, 08:19

FATBOY wrote:excellent pictures mr engineer. i take it you asked permission to go and have a look?? would love to have a look around! i did take a look down there last saturday and saw that the front entrance had gone. has it been totally cleared of gaming machines? or have any been dumped? would love an old arcade machine to go in my workshop? couldnt point me in the right direction mr engineer? also who owns the site? harrisons? they did at one point didnt they? is the bucking bronco still there? and who remembers the fazer force thing they used to have there? was a big room to the left of the bandstand? therre was stairs down from up the top(where the art gallery bit was) down to the bottom? im sure the fazer force room was right under the pavement(under the crazy golf???)

Hi Fatboy

If by Arcade machine you mean fruit machine you can find many of them on E-bay, you can also find some of the old Video games on there, infact you have just missed a sale of many old video games from a guy who is retiering in Blackpool whos arcade was full of older games and fruit machines including some 70.s Brenco stuff. On E-bay most of the Fruit Machines are of recent vintage, but you do some times get the odd gem from the 60's 70's & 80's comes up, as well as the old handle pull machines.

Hope this is of help

Regards

Cliff C
cliffc

Postby Chief Engineer » 18 Mar 2010, 23:50

Hi fatboy,

I played the nostalgia card to get some pictures before it all changes.

Yes most of the equipment has gone into storage ready for next years opening and usually its being in the right place at the right time when these machines get moved on, although most of the time they are worth more in spare parts and get broken up. If your looking for a vintage one, then e-bay is usually the place. Talking of old equipment, look what I found inside the building, different signage but same number plate, the Pier's old vintage motor.

The land and building is still owned by the local council , it is not for me to say who owns the lease, of which part of the agreement is the refurbishment of the buildings , but the Harrison's have never had an interest in the lease.

I remember the 'Bucking Bronco' , not sure when it left, but sadly the last chap to own it has passed away and your right about the stairs and 'Fazor Force' below is a picture of the stairs to the right of the stage.

CE

Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 20 Mar 2010, 15:39

cool pics fella and some good info. i remember the magic city wagon in its current guise, used to normally be out on carnival day in the procession. but i dont think i ever saw it about at any other time????
FATBOY

Next

Return to Seaside Forum