Seaside Min Railway expo - your help urgently wanted

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Seaside Min Railway expo - your help urgently wanted

Postby timmydunn » 14 Apr 2010, 19:42

Hi all.

I've a bit of a favour to ask in my capacity as Trustee of the Miniature Railway Museum Trust (No... wait!) and we’re currently building a 1000 sq ft exhibition on historic seaside pleasure railways. A massive part of this is scene-setting a vintage seaside atmosphere – with attractions ephemera (posters, signs, etc) to give our ride-on railway equipment some context. And make it a lot more fun for the visitor. But we’re missing real seaside / fairground ephemera.

We have to be ready by the start of June (!) and the exhibition will last circa 18 months in an air-conditioned, curated and staffed highly secure modern building in Cleethorpes (NE Lincolnshire). We’re hoping to have loan of any items from 3 – 6 months and we’ll consider any specific requests of display style.

We’re not an accredited museum, but we do have formal loan agreements in place, and thanks to generous sponsors, we are able to cover transport costs and of course insurance. More details on request.

If you, or know someone that does, have ANY of the following, we’d very much like to hear from you:

* Penny arcade games (working or not)
    * Telescope
    * Punch and Judy tent
    * Advertising signs / hoarding for attractions (any age)
    * Posters of attractions (pre-1970, ideally)
    * Anything that relates to attractions or leisure time spent at the seaside (older the better)!

I can be contacted on or seaside[at]timdunn.com - we're hoping to get stuff together in the next 2 weeks. Think Challenge Anneka, but with vintage seaside paraphenalia...

Cheers for your time!

Tim Dunn, curator, Miniature Railway Museum Trust. http://www.miniaturerailwaymuseum.co.uk
timmydunn

Return to Seaside Forum