The Deck Chairs of Margate

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

The Deck Chairs of Margate

Postby Gary » 15 May 2010, 07:44

..I read somewhere very recently that Margate was the first ever resort to introduce deck chairs (1898)

Can anyone confirm this?

Deckchairs (and windbreaks) deserve their own celebration in my humble opinion ..They conjure up everything that was / IS great about the seaside.. :)

Calling all sculptors, artists, museum owners....

..I know, I know..but Hey!!..Southport has its own Lawnmower Museum! :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby EAS » 15 May 2010, 15:06

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Re: The Deck Chairs of Margate

Postby Bob » 08 Aug 2010, 17:27

Gary wrote:..I read somewhere very recently that Margate was the first ever resort to introduce deck chairs (1898)

Can anyone confirm this?

Deckchairs (and windbreaks) deserve their own celebration in my humble opinion ..They conjure up everything that was / IS great about the seaside.. :)

Calling all sculptors, artists, museum owners....

..I know, I know..but Hey!!..Southport has its own Lawnmower Museum! :D

Last time I was there it looked as if they were still using the orignial ones they were in a dreadfull state.

Speding a bit of money to replace them would make the beach look far more attractive and inviting as it is it makes it look run down
Bob

Return to Seaside Forum