Clacton Redevelopment Plans

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Clacton Redevelopment Plans

Postby Bob » 29 Jul 2010, 18:32

Bob

Postby EAS » 29 Jul 2010, 19:46

From last January.

Let's hope the 'indicative architecture' isn't what poor old Clacton ends up with.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby Bob » 31 Jul 2010, 10:18

EAS wrote:From last January.

Let's hope the 'indicative architecture' isn't what poor old Clacton ends up with.

Most of what they regard as being good examples of modern attractive achitecture looks pretty depressing and not at all attractive or inviting.

They missed a golden oportunity when they let housing be built on the old Butlins site. They had the chance to turn it into a modern holiday facility but indstead build little box houses there.

The old Butlins site was life expired little had been spent on it since the early 1970's but a modern holiday facility could have turnt Clactons fortunes around. It is still a reasonably attractive resort but it just does not have the facilities and atractions to draw people in. It has the pier which is a good start but you need more then one attraction
Bob

Postby FATBOY » 31 Jul 2010, 15:51

i dont think i will ever see the day when all that happens!!! i was surprised they pumped all that money into the town centre facelift of a few year ago......
FATBOY

Postby Bob » 08 Aug 2010, 17:25

The trouble with councils is they waste lots of money and go in for overkill.
Most of Clacton down centre is ok. It really needs money spent on providing more facilities for tourists and upgrade the cafes on the front most of which have not changed since the 1970's still the bar resturant on the pier looks impressive whether it really looks as good as on the Web site I dont know but if it does thats a step in the righ direction
Bob

Return to Seaside Forum