Clacton Pier During the 70s and 80s

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby marc » 21 Apr 2009, 19:31

Now that certainly rings a bell ... glittery gold/silver cars and the batman logo steering wheels!!! I remember Felixstowe amusements having an original rocket ship ride (i.e height of the cars was controlled by the rider as the main ride rotated the cars themselves). But what was this glittery ride again ... ??

Chaaars :?[/quote]
are this the Jets you mean
http://www.funfairpix.co.uk/MAN27.jpg
I used to work on this in the late 80s & early 90s
ex Pleasure Beach Blackpool[/url]
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Re: Whirlwind

Postby Snowball » 21 Apr 2009, 19:31

Chief Engineer wrote:For all you Whirlwind lovers, take a trip back in time and watch the coaster in action:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhcclVYxRs

CE

Hi there Chief!

Just to say many thanks for all the invaluable input you've given to the forum - absolutely superb!! :D
Snowball

The rocket ships!!!

Postby Snowball » 21 Apr 2009, 19:35

marc wrote:Now that certainly rings a bell ... glittery gold/silver cars and the batman logo steering wheels!!! I remember Felixstowe amusements having an original rocket ship ride (i.e height of the cars was controlled by the rider as the main ride rotated the cars themselves). But what was this glittery ride again ... ??

Chaaars :?

are this the Jets you mean
http://www.funfairpix.co.uk/MAN27.jpg
I used to work on this in the late 80s & early 90s
ex Pleasure Beach Blackpool[/url][/quote]

Cheers Marc ... they're the jobbies!
I honestly thought that if I pulled hard enough *ahem, no pun intended*, on the lever that my ship would fly off completely ... ah, the innocence of youth hey! LOL
Snowball

Postby Chief Engineer » 21 Apr 2009, 22:16

I know this is a little earlier than the 70’s and I am not going to ask if anybody can remember one of the old entrances to Clacton Pier, but I thought you might like a look at what is hidden behind the building frontage in some of those old picture post cards that featured the Pier over the years. We do have a few old plans that still survive in the offices, unfortunately mostly ones of little interest unless you like plumbing or piles, however this plan caught my eye, dated 1922 it shows a layout of a proposed temporary Tea Pavilion located at the front of the Pier. The closest post card I could find to match the plan was taken after 1922 as there are a lot more buildings in view, however the frontage in both picture and plan does show a resemblance.

I found it interesting the large amount of space allocated to parcels , of course back then the Pier was the major picking up and dropping off point for the boats.

Hope you find it interesting , CE.
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 21 Apr 2009, 22:37

Hi Snowball,

Thanks for the welcome and it’s a pleasure to share with you all any memories or pictures that I recall or find.

Hi Marc,

I can certainly recall Charlie’s set of what I called ‘The Big Jets’ His set was almost identical to the Piers, the only differences I recall was Charlie’s centre sat a lot lower to the floor, The Piers set was mounted on a fairly high drawbar trailer and I believe the set at Felixstowe used the arms themselves as air receivers, ours had a huge doughnut air tank mounted in the centre instead. The Piers set of Big Jets disappeared when the Harrison’s took over along with most of the rides that made up the Fourth Dimension. I did hear a rumour that the Jets possibly went over to Russia as they were sold for scrap. I do recall the main electrical drive motor had a dated plate showing a manufacturing date of 1957.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby EAS » 21 Apr 2009, 22:43

Those plans and pic are fascinating! Thanks!

I wonder how 'temporary' the tea pavilion turned out to be?
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Re: Scalextrix tracks

Postby dirkthedaring71 » 22 Apr 2009, 08:21

Hey there Dirk!

I'm not sure these are the ones you're talking about, but do you happen to remember the massive tracks in the building opposite the pavillion? I'd never seen anything quite like it as a kid and comparing those to the piddly tracks you'd connect up at home, well... no comparison!!

Always remember they employed staff to just stand around reconnecting the cars to the track when they spun/flipped off.

Chaaaaaaaars :D[/quote]

Yes i remember those they were in the cafe that is up the steps which, sadly, is now all boarded up. When i think back i realise how if someone were to have a similar thing today, the cars would be gone by mid morning :)

Good times.
dirkthedaring71

Postby FATBOY » 26 Apr 2009, 10:31

been away for a few days, some nice nostalgic pictures since ive been away, very nice.... another quick one mr engineer, not sure how much of this you can answer, but going back to my younger days and the nightclub OSCARS many a good night had there, i sadly remember when it finally closed down, early 00's???? and we all know the ghost train took its place, but does the ghost train cover the entire area where the dancefloor was?? was the dance floor ripped up?? also does the dj booth and walkway that was quiet high up still exist?? and one thing that always baffled me was the way the dancefloor bounced! rumour has it that it was slightly sprung? dont know how? also the little scruples wine bar room, is that still there?? as i remember it you went into the front entrance of oscars into scruples and then thru a doorway into the main room. they were the days....... :D
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 26 Apr 2009, 23:35

Hi Fatboy,

I should be able to answer all your questions as I remember Oscars from its first year to its last. One of its last nights was just after the Harrison’s took over ownership, I am sure you will know that by then it was totally into the rave scene, a little bit different to its first year when smart dress was essential to get in and definitely no trainers allowed.

Yes the Ghost train does cover the whole floor area of what was the original Oscars nightclub, but Oscars only covered 50% of the original Blue Lagoon dance floor, the pub and scruples cover the rest. The Ghost train runs on the original sprung dance floor, but of course over the years various holes and sections have been cut out. The whole dance floor sits on hundreds of coil springs and must have been a huge undertaking when it was originally fitted. Scruples is just about still there but not for much longer as the long term plan is to open that corner of the building back onto the Pier. All that remains of Oscars is the bridge that took you over to the first floor toilets and most of the lighting frames hung from the roof, I will see if I can grab a couple of photographs as well as see if there is any other relics around.

I know you’re a Whirlwind lover Fatboy, but here is a lovely close up colour picture of the coaster that the Whirlwind tried to fill its footprint. The Steel Stella was the first coaster I rode, so has pride of place on top of my list of favourite coasters.

Not sure of the date on this picture, but working on it!

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby furie » 27 Apr 2009, 10:45

Can I just say that's a fantastic picture! Never seen anything quite like it before! Brilliant!

Can I also add RCDB don't have a picture of Steel Stella and I'm sure they'd be chuffed if you could donate the image? :)
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby FATBOY » 27 Apr 2009, 21:19

excellent mate!!! thanks for the info! would be really intigued to see some pictures of what it looks like now! or if any relics still exist??? im sure the actual OSCAR statues were still about?? i think they last resurfaced in the cockney for there sunday service events??? the cockney has shut down for good now hasnt it??? whats going to happen to that? the steel stella picture looks brilliant mate. :D
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 28 Apr 2009, 22:35

Hi furie,

Feel free to point RCDB in the right direction to down load the picture, the pictures that I have posted on here are hosted on the ‘Photobucket’ picture sharing web site, under the name ‘clactonpieruk’ and should be all downloadable. There are a few extra pictures there waiting for the right moment to get posted to the forum.

Hi Fatboy,

Here is the first bit of ’Oscars’ memorabilia I found today, this is back well before rave had even been born , although not dated I am guessing that this is probably a very early Xmas poster.

Yes the Cockney Pride has pulled its last pint under that banner, but it will live on, it is currently undergoing some refurbishment and will re-open soon under a new name ‘to be announced’

CE
Chief Engineer

Ocean Theatre

Postby Chief Engineer » 28 Apr 2009, 22:51

I though you all might like to take a look at a proposed revamp of the ‘Ocean Theatre’ back in 1958. Here is the artistic impression of how the new entrance would look which I have added in the proposed seating plan. The structural works did start on the theatre with about 20% of the new building works actually completed on the entrance end to the building. I am assuming that lower attendances over the following years put a stop to the completion to the new layout and eventually the closing of the building as a theatre. The stage has since been removed along with that part of the building. Of course now the building echo’s to the sound of amusement machines rather than laughter and applause of an audience.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby furie » 09 May 2009, 07:15

Chief Engineer wrote:Hi furie,

Feel free to point RCDB in the right direction to down load the picture, the pictures that I have posted on here are hosted on the ‘Photobucket’ picture sharing web site, under the name ‘clactonpieruk’ and should be all downloadable. There are a few extra pictures there waiting for the right moment to get posted to the forum.

Just a quick one, RCDB need to know who to credit the photo to? They put the names of everyone who has supplied a photo.

If you don't want to put your name here publicly, you can PM me with it :)
Furie and the lop-eared lagomorphs of Lucifer
Failed to Save the Cyclone :(
furie

Postby FATBOY » 09 May 2009, 19:15

hi ya mr engineer, been a few weeks. have you got any more blasts from the past? have you got any pictures of the jolly rogers interior? past or present?
FATBOY

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum