Clacton Pier During the 70s and 80s

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Jolly Roger

Postby Chief Engineer » 09 May 2009, 23:33

Hi furie,

Most of the photographs and plans are from the pier’s small archives. The new owners have managed to reuse one of the original company names from one of the pier’s past owners, so any credits can be accredited to ‘Clacton Pier Company Ltd’

Hi fatboy,

I will of course be pleased to post up any details or photographs of the old Pier theatre that I can find.

Here is a very poor photograph of the interior c1934. The photograph shows the theatre in its second life with the building having been split in two with the installation of a first floor to double up the floor area, the theatre moved up to the first floor and the theatre entrance was via a new grand staircase located on the front of the building .
Interestingly just visible in the photo, up in the apex of the interior roof girders are the old wrought iron scrolling and medallions carrying the ‘Clacton Pier Co.’ logo, they are still there today, even the old ‘Strand’ lighting control rack complete with the old fashioned dimmer rheostats still stands on what remains of the stage, although the main stage has been removed along with the dressing rooms behind, however the stage proscenium still remains.

More to follow
CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 09 May 2009, 23:45

The Grand Staircase, now sadly gone.
CE
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 25 May 2009, 16:50

been a few days since i last posted. had a nice walk along the pier today. very good to see all the attractions etc etc. a few questions (yet again lol) noticed the FLICKS roller rink tubular light sign is still in place???? obviously the main rink has gone(wasnt it just part of the space in the underground fair that was partitioned off??) does the old cafe bit that overlooked the side of the pier still exist there??? also had a look through the window of the cafe and you could just about see the old dolphinarium, looked really run down and messy out there, paint peeling from the stepped up seating that backs onto the side of the pier. just wonder what state the pool must be in now??? is anything going to be done with the pool??? also went into the smaller arcade that backs onto the pool, and noticed there was 3 machines the same that were unplugged(original space invaders) does the pier sell any of there old arcade machines??? as i would love one of them space invaders machines
FATBOY

Postby dirkthedaring71 » 26 May 2009, 07:16

If you could possible squeeze past the wire fences to get on top of the pavillion you can get a lovely look at the old swimming pool which looks like it has been untouched for over 20 years!!! Perhaps the pier should start guided tours :)
dirkthedaring71

Postby Chief Engineer » 29 May 2009, 18:13

Hi guys,

Just a quick note for all those interested in the disused swimming pool, there are some great pictures I sent over to be up loaded on ‘The Whales & Dolphins of Clacton-on-Sea’ internet site:-

http://www.dolphin-art.co.uk/Pages/sealions-page.html

The four photographs of the pool area at the bottom of the Sea Lion page were taken around 1995 and it has remained a slowly deteriorating time capsule ever since, there are plans to use the area possibly for next year, but not with any sea life connection.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 17 Jun 2009, 20:26

been a while! mr engineer any news about anything pier related?

also found a picture of the coaster, was a family shot with the pier in the background, but ive cropped the picture

FATBOY

Gallopers

Postby Chief Engineer » 22 Jun 2009, 22:47

Hi Everyone,

I am still here, just been incredibly busy over the last few weeks. Hopefully have some up today photographs soon on the interior of the Jolly Roger theatre, my camera was just not up to the job in the dark, so have found some taken as part of the inventory of the recent sale, watch this space.

To keep in with the title to this topic, Clacton Pier in the 70’s & 80’s, I found a picture taken of one of the wooden horses from the set of gallopers that ran on the pier till the change of ownership in 1981. I cant remember the exact date the ride moved up the coast to Walton Pier, but I do recall a story that the original wooden horses were sold of and possibly went to America while a replacement fibreglass set were fitted. The Gallopers have since moved from Walton Pier and I believe currently at ‘Yesterday’s World’ in great Yarmouth.

I can certainly remember the ride when it sat in exactly the same spot that the Twister sits now, but I have to admit I don’t remember that horse!

There is a short list of two guest rides that one will hopefully fill the empty part of the outside ride area in time for the onslaught of the summer holidays, both rides are something new to the Pier, so keep your eyes peeled for a surprise.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Bob » 13 Aug 2009, 18:10

Chief Engineer wrote:The Grand Staircase, now sadly gone.
CE

It strikes me that the Old Jolly Roger would make a fantastic restaurant. If it was done really well and up market.
Bob

Postby Chief Engineer » 31 Aug 2009, 18:00

Hi Bob,

With the poor old Jolly Roger Theatre there has always been plenty of talk but sadly because action costs money, very little action. Your suggestion is certainly not the first time the option has been raised, their was a proposal drawn up back in 1995 by the Harrison family of what the old building could be used for, which you can read below.

Amazingly the building is not protected in any way under a preservation order, which seems shocking for the one of the first theatres in Clacton, although I am glad to say that the present owners have no intention of removing the building and hope to eventually open up the whole building to add to the Piers other attractions, but its early days yet.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby troy » 12 Nov 2009, 12:44

The link to the dolphins of Clacton Pier mentioned earlier in this thread is dead but I found the site hosted here

http://www.clactondolphins.co.uk

There are some great pictures there including chief engineers latest shots. Also some footage of Nemo being moved from Clacton to Windsor here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoG2sJU ... re=related

There's also a more obscure link which is easily missed which contains the only shot I've seen with The Steel Stella on fire.

http://www.clactondolphins.co.uk/Pages/ ... -page.html

A very interesting thread indeed so keep up the good work.

Regards
troy

Postby Gary » 12 Nov 2009, 19:13

Thanks for the links Troy!

Mr C Engineer, if ever there was a "greatest thread on any amusement park board since the net was born" award...this Joyland thread would be it.

..and I've never been to Clacton :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby troy » 13 Nov 2009, 09:54

Quite agree Gary, I'd advise anyone to start at the beginning and read through this thread.

As an aside, a few pages back someone mentioned the Skyliner Ride and posed the question why had it been removed to which Chief Engineers answer was "health and safety". Now, I don't know about you but whenever I hear the old "H&S" line trotted out it sometimes makes me want to scream. How many classic attractions, rides, piers etc have been either lost to H&S or been seriously modified (stunted) to meet their requirements ? Quite a few I'd imagine.

Now, go back to the picture of the Skyliner Ride on this page here------

-----and consider yourself the H&S position. Consider where the support pylon is positioned on the pier deck, the way in which the support is attached to the pier deck (oh my god! what looks like two pieces of extra pier decking (it's the same width)) Bolt threads protuding by 3 or 4 inches you kind of think that H&S has a good point !

So I think the next time I hear that something has closed/shut down/been removed because of H&S I might not be quite so quick to judge !

Regards
troy

Postby FATBOY » 17 Nov 2009, 22:19

mr engineer. its good to see the flag poles have reappeared on the top of the domes at the front of the pier!! how long have they been back? and why were the existing ones loped off ages ago???? is the helter skelter gonna be back next year?? or is it in storage for the winter?
FATBOY

More Steel Stella info

Postby DolphinBoy » 19 Nov 2009, 21:33

Hi all
I was very lucky to get that photo of the Stella on fire so all I could do was share it. I have just added some editorial under the photo that I got from all the newspaper cuttings covering the fire, interesting stuff.

Thanks troy for pointing out my site has moved, I am getting so much great info and photos recently that I decided it deserved a dedicated website with more webspace

As for all the info on this thread, I agree that this is the best on the net, fantastic!!
I have some more photos coming soon hopefully, I post here when they are up
Take care

A big hello to Chief Engineer :D
DolphinBoy

Postby troy » 20 Nov 2009, 11:01

No problem DolphinBoy it deserved being brought back up because it's a good site. Just get the Clacton Pier photos link up on the main menu as it was only by accident I mouse rolled-over the obscure link that didn't look like a link at the bottom !

Could we ask for some more stories and pictures chiefengineer ? They really do make interesting reading.

Regards
troy

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum