Clacton Pier During the 70s and 80s

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby oldskool » 21 Feb 2010, 15:32

Hi Chief,

Thanks for posting the diving board pictures. I was a very small child when the diving board was on the beach and I never got the chance to have a go.

In all honesty I'm surprised I remember the diving board at all :lol:
oldskool

Postby Chief Engineer » 24 Feb 2010, 22:46

Hi

A couple of photographs taken from the seaward side of the Pier, the colour one is from a trip out to the radio Caroline ship back in 1995 and the b/w photograph is from the RNLI.

The Jolly Roger was looking in a very poor state of repair before the cladding went on, sadly no date on the RNLI photo.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Paul281 » 25 Feb 2010, 12:04

[quote="FATBOY"]hi oldskool and welcome!!!! mr engineer, is the flicks sign still there?

also found these on facebook

I remember the lido.

My Mum took me to Woolies and got me some swimming trunks and a towel so I could go on it!
Paul281

Postby oldskool » 26 Feb 2010, 00:11

More fantastic photos thanks Chief,

I guess the RNLI photo would be between 74-78. Did the big wheel move after this time?

I've just been reading the other threads, I didn't realise that the toboggan was the same one that was at Gt Yarmouth around the late 90's - thats where I had a ride on it.

Oldskool
oldskool

Postby Chief Engineer » 26 Feb 2010, 22:05

Hi oldskool,

I am going to have to do a bit of research on the exact date for that RNLI photograph, but it is certainly pre 1978 so I don't think your going to be far out.

During my time at the Pier the Big Wheel moved locations a few times, not a quick or easy job , below is a picture of the wheel sitting in another one of its many homes and looking very clean and tidy.

Yes there is only one Toboggan ride of that type in the UK, an American built ride. Its a bit early to say if it is going to make a return visit this summer. I just wish I had taken some more up close photographs when she was here last year.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 26 Feb 2010, 22:12

Ok everyone,

Time to put your thinking caps on , while scanning a postcard of Clacton beach that was posted in the early 50's, I noticed something I have never seen before on the beach, any ideas?

CE

Looking at the children climbing over it, it must have been some sort of floating childrens climbing frame, thats my best guess, but it seems to early for such an idea
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 27 Feb 2010, 18:20

cracking picture of the big wheel mr engineer, where is she now? and is there any pictures of her now? or was she scrapped? and how long did the big wheel last on the pier? what year did it come and what year did it leave? i notice by the picture, that was before the gondolas more secure and people could fall /leap out...
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 28 Feb 2010, 12:33

Hi fatboy,

Unfortunately you probably just emptied your baked beans out of the can made from her. The big wheel was semi part exchanged on a new Twist ride back in 2000, because there had been so much refurbishment work done in the mid 1990’s on the wheel itself, the company who took her over was going to finish off the work and sell her on, then of course the price of scrap steel went through the roof and it was more economical to just cut it up and weigh the steel in.

I am going to guess that because she looks so good in the picture that it must have been taken in 1994 after she had just been refurbished. Manufactured in Italy by Soli viviana in 1976, I am sure it was brought new for the Pier, so lived all its life above the waves. I have seen a couple of pictures when it used to have a full canopy over the platforms and looked very impressive. Sadly the introduction of the safety cages possibly in 1996/7 ruined the look.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 28 Feb 2010, 22:40

A little bit of film footage of the Big Wheel although not the normal type of holiday maker taking a ride, curtsey of the Pet Shop Boys , 1987.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WblxR8F1h4

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 01 Mar 2010, 09:19

cool vid. ive got that film called "it couldnt happen here" by the pet shop boys on DVD.
FATBOY

Postby FATBOY » 01 Mar 2010, 15:48

check out this pic i found on facebook.

never knew the skyliner ride went over the water, them kids dont look safe on that ride do they! lol
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 01 Mar 2010, 23:56

Although it was well before I worked on the Pier, I do remember on my visits to ride the Steel Stella, the 'Skyliner' crossing over the water.

By the time I started it had been relocated to run up the Pier. I am not sure of the truth, but I have heard stories of problems with breakdowns leading to people being stranded over the water. Although it was a electrical driven ride it also had a stand by petrol motor that could be engaged in the event of a power failure.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 03 Mar 2010, 22:03

One of the last performing shows that Clacton Pier staged was of course the dolphins, whales and sea lions. My good friend DolphinBoy has of course got the wonderful site 'The Whales & Dolphins of Clacton Pier' (http://www.clactondolphins.co.uk/) for those new readers of this thread it is a site that companions this topic of Clacton Pier in the 70's and 80's not only for the dolphinarium but the site also hosts a lot more on the history of the Pier in its photograph and newspaper articles sections.

Here is a ITN news report covering the day when Nemo left the Pier, it was certainly an interesting day , not only for Nemo but also trying to recover the crane from falling through the decking.

The clip is a preview clip, so apologies for the low picture quality, the trainer in the clip is of course Peter Bloom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3tdU_mSX-U
CE
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 20 Mar 2010, 15:46

good to see the helter skelter is back on the pier. really does make a difference when its on there and brightens the pier itself up :D
FATBOY

Postby FATBOY » 24 Mar 2010, 21:12

also good to see the waveswinger back, saw it was half built. how on earth is it built????? whats the procedure??? looks complex?
FATBOY

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum