Colwyn Pier. Council agree to meeting. BBC ONE SHOW feature

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Colwyn Pier. Council agree to meeting. BBC ONE SHOW feature

Postby mrjimlowe » 19 Apr 2011, 20:54

Hello

Here is the latest update from Steve Hunt. Something positive could be happening at last.

Hi All,

Thanks to the huge support of our MP, David Jones, and Terry Jones (yes, Monty Python's finest), and of course all of your individual emails and letters of support through to David, and the media etc., I have some promising news to depart:

After literally years of offers by myself, and at least two previous formal requests from David Jones (which were both turned down out-of-hand), Conwy County Council has FINALLY agreed to have a meeting with me to discuss the pier and what can be done to move things forward in an effort to save it. This in itself is a miracle, as anyone who has been following the story of the last few years will know!

The meeting takes place tomorrow (Wednesday) - so I'll keep you posted as to what happens! - I'm not exactly holding my breath for a sudden reconciliation with the Council, but at least it is a start that they acknowledge that they simply CANNOT go on any longer trying to keep me out of the picture: the law quite simply won't allow it, and time is running out rapidly before it is legally all mine again in any case. I sincerely hope we can have constructive talks as to what funding support is available, and what legal framework needs putting into place to make it happen - quickly. I spent Monday in London with my commercial property solicitors discussing various options.

Tonight on BBC 1's THE ONE SHOW, Terry Jones will hopefully be doing a piece about his early life in Colwyn Bay and memories of the pier, and why it is important for it to be saved etc. - so watch out for that - and a huge public thanks from me personally to Terry for taking his time out to do this. I know he is very busy indeed at the moment with his latest opera project. Undoubtedly it was Terry's vocal support for Colwyn's little theatre that finally helped to secure its funding for the future - let us all hope his influence will once again mark the turning point in the 40-year long battle for survival of Victoria Pier.

Regards

Steve Hunt
Regards

Jim Lowe

Website and Forum: http://www.northwestseasidetowns.co.uk
mrjimlowe

Return to Seaside Forum