BITSofBRITAIN: "Another Place"

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

BITSofBRITAIN: "Another Place"

Postby Gary » 24 Jul 2011, 19:36

Just a 20 minutes or so drive from my house lies Crosby Beach.

The beach stretches about 3 miles North-West from the Seaforth Dock in the Port of Liverpool, through Waterloo (where it separates the sea from the Marina) up past Crosby Swimming Baths and beyond the coastguard station in Blundellsands to the estuary of the River Alt.

It is the permanent home of 100 cast-iron, life-size figures spread out along three kilometers of the foreshore, stretching almost one kilometre out to sea.

Contractors spent three weeks lifting the figures into place and driving them into the beach on the-metre-high foundation piles.

Photo by Nam June Paik

What are they all looking at?

What are they all waiting for?

What's out there miles out to sea?

Recently my family and I had the pleasure of walking amongst these statues and watching them slowly disappear as the tide crept in.

Antony Gormey's artwork is as beautiful and mysterious as it is surreal.

Photo by themagiceye

Another Place is one heck of another place in this theme park I call Great Britain.

Recommended.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby FATBOY » 26 Jul 2011, 19:55

not good for the local coastguard when they get people ringing them up by people that dont know the area!! LOL but they do seem odd?
FATBOY

Postby Gary » 26 Jul 2011, 20:51

FATBOY wrote:not good for the local coastguard when they get people ringing them up by people that dont know the area!! LOL but they do seem odd?

LOL!!

Add to that FB the fact that some people can't resist dressing them up with T shirts and wigs... :D

Gary

Postby FATBOY » 27 Jul 2011, 17:53

LOL thats funny :D
FATBOY

Postby Graeme » 01 Aug 2011, 21:40

Very interesting, Gary. I have always loved sculpture. Antony Gormley's in particular play with scale, either by having one huge figure, thousands of small ones or something inbetween, like the subject of this post. They always make you think and consider your surroundings in one way or another.
Graeme

Postby Gary » 04 Aug 2011, 19:38

Agreed Graeme.

Our family have a love of all thinks Gormley.

I have always been fascinated by his Field for the British Isles

A hundred school kids from where I live, St Helens in Merseyside got together with artist Antony Gormley 18 years ago and created 40,000 little clay figures. The resulting artwork, Field for the British Isles, is now one of Gormley's best loved pieces and when we first saw this at Tate Liverpool we were blown away.

We stopped off to stand next to Angel of the North several years back on our way to Newcastle and again the sheer scale of the thing blew us away!

Gary

Return to Seaside Forum