Southend Pier News

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Southend Pier News

Postby Zoidstar » 09 Mar 2012, 17:50

After being struck by a fishing boat on Friday 17th February Southend Pier has been closed to the public.

However the pier walkway will be open over the weekend of Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th March.

The Pier will close to the public again from Monday 12th to Friday 16th March to enable ongoing repair work but it is hoped that it will continue to be accessible to pedestrians at weekends.

The railway will not be running and all entrance fee’s will be reduced to £1 per person.

The RNLI are currently running a stall at the shore end of the pier.
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby AJ » 10 Mar 2012, 00:15

Southend has to have the unluckiest pier going. Any idea how accidents & incidents the pier has suffered in its history Zoidstar?
AJ

South end pier

Postby kl9433 » 12 Mar 2012, 09:26

Hi there my name is sally. I am new to this forum and am a little nervous. I was wondering if anyone knows a little about the whether the pier is back to normal yet as i would love to take a short visit to the pier to do some work on a school project that i yet have to complete.

AJ: out of curiosity i just wondered how many accidents has the pier actually run into?

Kind regards

Sally....
kl9433

Postby Zoidstar » 12 Mar 2012, 14:32

At present it is closed weekdays but the Council are hopeful to open it at weekends.

Sadly I was not able to get down there this weekend but having seen the photos its a big old job to fix things up, the walkway has been removed along with the piles and cross members where the fishing boat struck, a walkway has been laid across the railway to enable acess to the Pier Head for the pier staff and lifrboat crews during the week and for public at weekends.

Keep an eye on the Southend Borough Council website for any updates.

Nick

check out my website for a history of Southend Pier.

www.southendtimeline.com

Off the top of my head about 7 fires and 10+ boats have hit or burnt the pier throughout its history,
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Return to Seaside Forum