Cleveleys Kiddies Corner...TO CLOSE???!!!!!

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Cleveleys Kiddies Corner...TO CLOSE???!!!!!

Postby Gary » 10 Sep 2004, 19:35

When I first read this article I thought it was just a temporary measure but having read it again.. could it be forever????

http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=62&ArticleID=853800
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Gary » 11 Sep 2004, 20:07

This from 'Focus on Anchorsholme and Cleveleys':

"....The response from the public and other local businesses has been overwhelming. People are signing in their thousands young and old alike. The depth of feeling from these people has served to strengthen my resolve to help keep these kiddies rides open" (Mrs. Kay Kenworthy / Campaign Coordinator)

Within days of a campaign starting to save Kiddies Corner, Wyre Council Leader Alan Vincent started to backtrack on this foolish plan to close the main family attraction in Cleveleys. "Cllr. Vincent says that he would like Children’s Corner to continue. We are asking him to go one step further and show that he is listening to the public by allowing it to stay where it has for over 40 years. We need a clear pledge from him now;" said Anchorsholme Councillor Jon Bamborough. 

"Cllr Vincent should put the mistakes right and pledge that Kiddies Corner will be offered a new ten year lease. On the same but improved site after the sea defences are completed. Of course we want the sea defence work done, but we also want to see Children’s Corner remain where it is. Visitors, local traders, residents in Cleveleys and Anchorsholme with children and grand children need this facility to have a secure future;" said Cllr Steven Bate, a former Cleveleys Parliamentary Candidate.

"Councillor Vincent has an opportunity here to make a difference. The people of Cleveleys are already disgusted at the way plans for the Jubilee Gardens were handled. Further uncertainty about Kiddies Corner will not be tolerated by local residents;" added Cllr Jon Bamborough.

If you can help us in any way please contact:-

Mrs. Kay Kenworthy Tel: 856389 Mobile: 07866 190 880

If you do not want to see Kiddies Corner closed, please write to:

Philippa Davies, Business Support,
Wyre Borough Council,
Breck Road,
Poulton le Fylde,
Gary

Postby Nick » 11 Sep 2004, 21:19

I drove past it last weekend and was very saddened to see signs over the entrance saying:

"Sorry kids, we're closing down".

I think that says it all. The operators want to keep it, the families clearly do (the place was packed last weekend), local businesses obviously want it. Why is it always councils that don't see the importance of seaside tourist attractions like this?

A popular little park that brings so many people to Cleveleys being closed down for no good reason that I can see.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Childrens Corner Facing Closure

Postby michael » 16 Sep 2004, 15:01

I visit Cleveleys on a regular basis and always take my young children on the rides at Childrens Corner. As a child I was taken on the rides by my parents and have many happy memories. Nothing much has changed, a few newer rides but the older rides such as The Ladybirds and Vintage Cars have been there since I was young

If Childrens Corner was to close it would be such a loss to Cleveleys. It is not a run down attraction in Cleveleys. It is family run and has so much character. The Childrens Corner is always busy, popular and makes Cleveleys the place that it is. It is not in the league of modern funfairs but children love the place and we adults love the place as spent our childhood days here

Even relocating the park to a different area would be a mistake. Where it is located is right in the centre of the resort and always has been. The park is always pictured on old postcards and guide books and is a real landmark for Cleveleys

I dont know who has made this decision but I doubt they know the history and character of Childrens Corner. As one of Cleveleys only family attraction I would expect the council to make a point of keeping this attraction not trying to close it down

I hope that the Council see sense and appreciate what an asset this place is to Cleveleys. To close it would be a big mistake and will deny our children and grandchildren to enjoy this place as we did

Please write to the local council if you can
michael

Kiddies Corner

Postby michael » 29 Sep 2004, 09:43

I was in Cleveleys at the weekend

Kiddies Corner was busy all day even though the weather was not great

There is a strong campaign in place to save Kiddies Corner. Postcards are available to fill in and send in to the council opposing the plans. These postcards were available at Kiddies Corner, Masons amusements over the road and the campaign was also displayed in some of the local businesses including the Marina Cafe

There is strong support from both locals and visitors and noone wants to see the fairground close

I cant see how the local council can force this attraction to close when the place is so popular and there is so much opposition. It is such an important, in fact the only attraction in Cleveleys that I cant see how the Council could even consider this crazy plan in the first place!

Masons have reduced all ride prices to half price until the end of the season to thank all their supporters and I hope they win the fight
michael

Postby Gary » 23 Nov 2004, 17:33

Gary

Postby Nick » 23 Nov 2004, 21:54

Fantastic news! Let's hope it is permanent.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Seaside Forum