Great Yarmouth Giant

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Great Yarmouth Giant

Postby dodger » 11 Apr 2005, 09:49

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the Giant that used to stand at The Botton Brothers park in Great Yearmouth.
He had a big, wide brimmed hat, a red tunic and carried a club. He was also automated, so would often lean down towards you.
To my knowledge, he had been there for at least 30 years, but has since been replaced by a more troll-like figure of similar size, but nowhere near as much charm.
I'd love to know if he still exists somewhere.
dodger

Postby Graeme » 14 Apr 2005, 13:14

I don't know what's happened to the old giant but I remember it well. I wish I had taken a photo of it - I've got one with him right at the edge, but not framed properly.

Did he really lean down towards you though?
Graeme

Postby dodger » 18 Apr 2005, 10:27

Yes, he did lean down... Not very far though. I remember it mainly when I was a kid.
In later visits, I think they must have turned the mechanism off, or maybe it became broken.
dodger

Postby TpMatt_89 » 23 Apr 2005, 14:21

I remember the giant! I suppose I went to that park about 10 years ago when I was a small child and used to get so scared by him!
TpMatt_89

Return to Seaside Forum