Clifftonville Butlins

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Clifftonville Butlins

Postby Zoidstar » 30 Jun 2005, 13:51

Can anyone rember the names of the Butlins hotels that were at Clifftonville, I stayed there once back in the 1980's.

For the first time since that holliday I was able to visit Clifftonville during the airshow but it had changed so much with building gone new ones gone up I could not rember where exactly they were there was three large hotels all owned/operated by Butlins, they were near the front.

One had a fire just before we visited, from the hotel window you could see a section of a pier stuck out all on its own? there was also a closed down model village not too far from the hotels.

Nick
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Cliftonville Butlin's Hotels

Postby porterm » 06 Jul 2005, 22:35

Hi there,

I'll ask my Dad what the hotel names were and get back to you. I seem to remember one was called The George or St George. They bring back many happy memories for me also as my parents used to regularly frequent them for their sequence dancing holidays with their dancing friends. I uncannily also stayed at one in the the early 80's for a day during one of their stays there.

Sadly my dear mother passed away very suddenly early February this year so the memories are even more poignant. I also recall our visit to the former bar at the Lido and the organist in their grounds on a very hot day.

Martin
porterm

Re: Clifftonville Butlins

Postby Bob » 23 Jul 2005, 18:42

Zoidstar wrote:Can anyone rember the names of the Butlins hotels that were at Clifftonville, I stayed there once back in the 1980's.

For the first time since that holliday I was able to visit Clifftonville during the airshow but it had changed so much with building gone new ones gone up I could not rember where exactly they were there was three large hotels all owned/operated by Butlins, they were near the front.

One had a fire just before we visited, from the hotel window you could see a section of a pier stuck out all on its own? there was also a closed down model village not too far from the hotels.

Nick

The St Georges, The Queens, The Norfolk & The Florence , these were aquired by Butlins in 1955 the Grand Hotel was aquired in 1956
Bob

Postby Zoidstar » 26 Jul 2005, 10:36

Great Thank.

Sorry to hear about your news.

Are the hotels still standing as when I went to the airshow the area had completely changed.

The wreck of the pier standing all on its own had gone as had the stubby bit of Margare Pier.
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby tomrcross » 22 Sep 2008, 10:26

Has anyone tried the new Shoreline Hotel at Butlins Bognor. I am going in a couple of weeks and was wandering if anyone could tell me what it is like.
tomrcross

Re: Clifftonville Butlins

Postby manofkent » 16 Oct 2008, 18:14

Bob wrote:
Zoidstar wrote:Can anyone rember the names of the Butlins hotels that were at Clifftonville, I stayed there once back in the 1980's.

Nick

The St Georges, The Queens, The Norfolk & The Florence , these were aquired by Butlins in 1955 the Grand Hotel was aquired in 1956

I remember as a lad in the late 1950's my friends and myself would often go the Queens and go downstairs to the coffee bar where we could watch through the glass the hotel guests in the swimming pool. Oh happy days!
manofkent

Postby minnie2200 » 15 Jun 2009, 14:35

There are some photos of these hotels in their glory days on butlins-memories.co.uk. I spent all of my childhood summer holidays in Cliftonville and although we never stayed at Butlins (too expensive back then!) we used to visit the 'open to non-residents' areas, such as the Ship Bar. My dad also used to holiday there with his pals back in the 1950's. As you say 'Happy Days!'
minnie2200

Postby manofkent » 20 Jun 2009, 11:27

I understand that at least 2 of the hotels have gone and been replaced by apartments. In fact my brother has just moved into one of them.
manofkent

Return to Seaside Forum