Southend Pier

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Southend Pier

Postby Zoidstar » 11 Oct 2005, 14:11

It is very sad to see that Southend Pier has been devistated yet again by fire this time the old pier head has been lost, but it will rise again the council have said they haop to have it open fully by 2007.
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Southend Pier Fire

Postby porterm » 11 Oct 2005, 15:20

Yes, a very sad situation. Seems like this landmark doesn't really have a lot of luck. However, arson seems to be the cause cited by most of the media at present. Yesterday's Evening Standard said the fire was believed to have started in the chip shop, however I did hear the TV news saying that they thought someone had started it by placing something underneath one of the buildings, maybe the pub. (I nearly missed this story on Sunday night as most the news channels were quite rightly covering the devastating earthquake in Pakistan).

I may try to take a trip over to Southend later this afternoon if possible to take a look at the damage.

Martin
porterm

Postby Zoidstar » 11 Oct 2005, 17:35

Dont bother the pier is not open to anyone and you cant see much from lans unless you have a boat it would be a wasted trip if you do have a boat you are my bestest buddy. :lol:
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby porterm » 16 Oct 2005, 00:41

No, I certainly do not possess a boat (not on my salary anyway!)

Just for the record, I never got to go over there that day. Perhaps it was just as well as I would've probably needed some strong binoculars. I heard the radio news yesterday saying that the fire was likely started by accident now (as per Time FM, Romford 107.5).

Martin
porterm

Postby Zoidstar » 18 Oct 2005, 10:51

Thats what is beleved,

There have been a few very funny remarks on the pier

a few I can rember are:

"It should be rebuilt in something that will not burn... Like titanium!)

"I saw the RAF Rescue Helicoptor droping water on to it"

"Why did'nt they drive the fire engines down the pier"
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby Bob » 22 Oct 2005, 14:14

Zoidstar wrote:Thats what is beleved,

There have been a few very funny remarks on the pier

a few I can rember are:

"It should be rebuilt in something that will not burn... Like titanium!)

"I saw the RAF Rescue Helicoptor droping water on to it"

"Why did'nt they drive the fire engines down the pier"

It was dark & they could not be certain of the damage as well. The pier may not as well be upto holding the weight of a fire engine even more so if the fire had weakened the structure.

Not sure if Southend has a proper lifeboat most places have these silly inshore type ones. If it had a proper lifeboat they could have put a pump on board it and attacked the fire from the sea.
Bob

Postby Zoidstar » 22 Oct 2005, 22:07

3 or 4 in shore rigid inflateables and 1 hovercraft.

The RNLI crews work non-stop all night and are currently living on the pier head 12hours a day in shifts. as there is a gap in the pier at presnet, a bridge is being constructed cover the damaged section for the RNLI and council repair/salvage teams and insureance fire investigators sadlt the Health and Safety bods have barred members of the public from using it... bstards
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Return to Seaside Forum