Pleasurama Site

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Pleasurama Site

Postby Zoidstar » 27 Oct 2005, 22:07

Cabinet Members have confirmed their decision to sell the ex - Pleasurama site along Ramsgate seafront to SFP Ventures Ltd. for a hotel, leisure and residential development.

The decision last night (Thursday 20 October) endorses the decision made in November 2004 to dispose of the land and enter into a development agreement with the company, which will be binding on both sides.

Should the hotel development be constructed and no operator found, then the Council will now have the option to acquire the hotel by paying a sum equivalent to the construction costs. The Council could then sell the land to another developer who could bring in a hotel operator. This condition reflects the Council’s wish to achieve a high quality hotel development in Ramsgate.

The proceeds of the sale are likely be £3.6 million, which includes £727,600 for a contribution to affordable housing.

Deputy Leader Cllr. Bob Bayford, said: “This seafront site has lain derelict for far too long. We want to see the high quality leisure and residential development being proposed by SFP being taken forward to benefit Ramsgate and the whole of Thanet. We have already seen a lively café culture emerging in the town and the seafront is more vibrant than it has been for many years. Once we can add the ex-Pleasurama site into this mix, we can truly begin to create the world class marina that people supported as part of the Ramsgate Renaissance concept. We can now look forward to seeing this development progress quickly and I can’t wait to see this major part of the town’s seafront come back into use.”

Anyone have any past or present photos of the site not been down there for 15odd years! am I right in thinking this is the site at the bottom of the cliffs?
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby Greg Pryce » 10 Jun 2007, 21:48

Hello Zoidstar,
You're right,it is the site at the bottom of the cliff edge,unfortunately I only have some postcards and no way of transfering them onto the computer yet.I too recently have put a request in for pictures on another site,but nothing yet.
It's such a shame,there used to be so much down there,Fun Fair,Shops,Tea Rooms, Tunnel Railway (which I would love to have ridden on),Swimming Pool,Clubs etc. & my Dads,friends Parents used to run a zoo there.
Now?..........a Car Park!!!! so you can park your car and go and look at the waste ground where the Main Olympia/Pleasurama Building used to be.
It must be a main attraction as it's been like that for appx. 10 years? :shock:
I have such great memories of Ramsgate and Margate but each time I go there now it is very sad.
Anyway I must stop before whinning on :D
If I find any pictures,I'll post them.
All the Best,
Greg
Greg Pryce

Return to Seaside Forum