Helter Skelters

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Helter Skelters

Postby Gary » 11 Dec 2005, 19:17

In 2002 I put together a small, loose article based around several photos of Helter Skelters that Nick kindly e mailed me. The article appeared on my website themagiceye.

I have recently revisited the article simply because Helter Skelters epitomise the excitement of the fairgrounds and amusement parks of my childhood.

http://www.themagiceye.co.uk/id265.html

Sadly, two of my favourite Helter Skelters at: Southport Pleasureland and Cleveleys are no more. Southport's bowl at the end was brilliant and where else could you slide down 6 times for about a quid but Cleveleys?

How much mileage have these wonderful attractions got left in the hi-tech laden parks of today?

If I see a Helter Skelter today, I just think "To hell with it" and I'm off up the stairs with my mat..daughter in tow or not :D

I'm like a child that hasn't grown up when I see these attractions..If anyone has memories or jpegs of any helter skelters not shown in the article then please let me know and I'll put them up for all to see.

These attractions must not get lost and forgotten.....

...Must they?
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Re: Helter Skelters

Postby Gary » 19 Jan 2008, 21:44

Helter Skelter article can now be found at:

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagiceye/galleries/helterskelters.htm

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby dirkthedaring71 » 26 Sep 2008, 07:08

In the 70's there used to be a helter skelter on Clacton pier. For some twisted reason my dad used to find it amusing to hide whilst i went up the stairs. When i got to the bottom of the slide he would only appear again once i had burst in to tears. If only child line existed then ;)

I am also a fan of the big bump slide. It's pretty hard to find a slide that allows adults but i have found one at Wicksteed Park and very good fun it is too. Maybe we could bring these sort of rides back to combat obesity levels in children (and adults).
dirkthedaring71

Postby kevinashe » 26 Sep 2008, 14:00

we know that the pleasureland helter skelter went to a travelling fair and the bowl was boxed off years ago but when pleasureland closed the bowl was nowhere to be found (as nick would have had it for dreamland).Does anyone know what ever happened to it and if it was as we expect broken up does the dimentions or plans still exist so one could be recreated at dreamland
kevinashe

Return to Seaside Forum