Waxworks

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Waxworks

Postby Fraser » 30 Jan 2003, 09:26

It's no secret that I adore Waxworks - but I have a really special affinity with Seaside waxworks. They're always just that bit more sensationalist and tacky than "city" ones. I remember the Louis Tussaud's in Douglas on the Isle of Man which had a special section on holocaust horrors which was horrible in the extreme and completely NON-educational. Two years ago at Great Yarmouth, I was delighted to see that the Waxworks there (another Tussaud's rip-off?) were advertising as New for 2001 "Mr Blobby" LOL.
What other seaside towns have waxworks? I've not been to the grandaddy of them all for ages - I speak of course of Louis Tussaud's at Blackpool. Does it still have the "special surgical anatomical" section? And the werewolf that rattles its cage?
Fraser

Postby Graeme » 30 Jan 2003, 09:44

Well, I think they're darn frightening! Southend used to have one in the Golden Hinde replica. I was always too scared to go in! There was a display outside with a swinging pendulum blade.

Now it's some sort of Pirate Adventure as part of Adventure Island, I think. You see, the amusement park wasn't even over that side of the pier in those days.
Graeme

Postby Nick » 30 Jan 2003, 12:06

There are several Waxworks is Great Yarmouth.

The most 'sensationalist' waxworks I remember are the Walkers Tussauds (must have been a big family!) at Bridlington. They had a Yorkshire Ripper section, installed just after he was convicted. That caused a real outcry amongst locals, and in the end it was removed. It closed down in the 1980s, but another waxworks appeared in Corrigan's Amusement Park in the 1990s. I think that has gone as well now.

Did you know: there are also a number of Louis Tussauds in the USA. I don't know whether they have any connection with the one at Blackpool., though.

Oh yes, and don't forget the quaint Osborne-Smith's Wax Museum at Brading on the Isle of Wight. That one is very different from the standard waxworks, in that it focuses more on historical figures, although it does have the ubiquitous Chamber of Horrors.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Seaside Forum