Cleveleys

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Cleveleys

Postby Gary » 22 Jun 2003, 22:55

There's a sign on one of the guesthouses as you approach the centre of Cleveleys by car that reads: "For the elderly".

I can understand those who have stumbled on this "forgotten resort" believing those words to be very apt for the town itself and then passing through towards other destinations without stopping.

My very first impressions of this place last year were similar. I felt then that it was if hundreds of elderly daytrippers had been dropped off by their respective coach drivers and...well..left there to wander about...Something like a scene from a George A. Romero film. What's more the entertainment seemed to have upped sticks and moved out at the same time!..Weird!!

But you know there is something very "nice" about Cleveleys and besides I was back there yesterday (21/6/03)..You just have to dig a little deeper that's all...

First up it's hassle free...There is a genuine relaxed atmosphere about the place..and there are plenty of families enjoying themselves.
Here is a town that caters very well for the cheap and cheerful seaside fayre..but it offers up very good value as well...

Five of us sat down at "Kay's Chippy" and enjoyed excellent cod and chips and drinks all round for £20..Prices are cheaper than Blackpool a couple of miles down the coast..The beach was deserted but povided a great hour and a half of exploration for my daughter with her £2 bucket and spade..And it was clean..We also noticed lifeguards keeping an eye on the water...It was reassuring.

You do get a feeling that the place is struggling to survive but it's a feeling I get in most seaside resorts these days...You know the sort of things here.. The wall that separates the beach from the road on the prom has some ugly graffiti and a lick of paint wouldn't go amiss..cleaner paths etc..

That besides, a special mention must go to a very small but well run outdoor amusement place called Children's Corner at one end of the prom...(Not so much an amusement park more..a corner!)

Last year £5 bought 7 tickets and each ride was 1 ticket a go..There was no price increase this year!!..OK we're talking kids' rides here but for the money concious parent it was a godsend and besides, everyone was enjoying themselves.

It boasts a new mini gondola ride (Pirate Ship) and also a new(ish) Spring/ Bounce ride which offers kids a better value ride than its Beaver Creek counterpart at the Pleasure Beach.

My own favourite ride last year WAS The sixty year old Alpine Glide Helter Skelter but unfortunately after 40 years in its Cleveleys home it had been removed and is now up for sale for £30,000.

..Seems it too has grown old in Cleveleys.
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Cleveleys

Postby michael » 23 Jun 2003, 17:29

I have been a regular visitor to Cleveleys with my family for many years and we always have a really enjoyable day out. Admittedly, it does not have the most attractive seafront , partly due to the fact that it gets battered by the harsh irish sea out of season but the place does have a unique traditional seaside atmosphere and never really changes much ! There is even a row of beach huts still on the promenade !

The childrens funfair on the front has been there for many years and although it has invested in some more modern rides it has kept the vintage cars which run on a wooden track. As the last message mentioned, the helter skelter which had been here for about 60 years has not been used this year and is for sale. This is a real shame as my kids loved this ride as much as i did when i was young. I dont know the reasons behind not having it here but to me this was a real classic and the place doesnt seem the same without it. The modern pirate ship in its place is no replacement!! Maybe if they get enough protests they might not sell and bring it back

Also the Jubilee gardens park is worth a visit with boats, paddling pool, crazy golf etc

For a snack, try the Marina cafe at the top of the main street. Or for a meal you can't beat the Savoy Grill. 3 Course meal for £ 6.95. I cant remember the street its on but ask anyone and theyll know it. Its on the same street as the Skipton Building Society

Admittedly, there are a lot of older people in Cleveleys but there are also a lot of families. Its a resort thats always busy even in the Winter. There are good shops, cafes etc etc and its so close to Blackpool that you can end the day by calling in at the Pleasure Beach if you want on your way home

I dont think many people actually holiday or stay here any more, but as a seaside day trip destination its ideal. Many people have been coming here for years and years and I reckon its one of lancashires best kept secrets
michael

Postby Nick » 23 Jun 2003, 21:30

I am glad you posted that report, Gary. I was only thinking a few days ago that I hadn't been to Cleveleys for about 10 years and that I must go back to see how it had changed. It sounds like the place hasn't changed much, with the exception of the loss of the helter skelter.

I have always liked Cleveleys, and I think having the Blackpool trams running through the centre adds to the atmosphere. What better way to travel to the Pleasure Beach in an evening than on a rickety old Blackpool tram!
Nick
Site Admin

Cleveleys

Postby Gary » 23 Jun 2003, 21:32

I agree Michael with everything you have said..it is one of Lancashire's best kept secrets.

Maybe I was a little harsh when referring to the elderly..perhaps it's just a great place to grow old in.

Saturday gone was only the second time ever that I had visited Cleveleys but already I'm missing that Helter Skelter (or Slip as this sort of ride is sometimes known). Last year for the price of one ticket, my daughter and I were allowed several slides..The mini Pirate Ride is definately no comparison!

It was my wife who asked one of the operators about the Helter Skelter and he told her that kids had been climbing up the slide and placing stuff in between the slats of the slide. I cannot vouch completely for this but I expect that this is a problem with a lot of Helter Skelters..By all accounts the ride had been ever present in Children's Corner for 40 years and "at another place" 20 years previous although he didn't tell her where.

We stopped for a drink on one of the outside tables next to The Marina Cafe..I think it was called Cafe Renoir or something..but it served great coffee!

Click the link for a picture of The Alpine Glide

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/themagiceye/ag.html
Gary

Cleveleys

Postby Gary » 24 Jun 2003, 21:02

Well would you believe it!!??

I read on teletext today about plans submitted by Manchester's Property Alliance Group for a multi million pound redevelopment plan of Cleveley's seafront!!..Coincidence or what??

Plans submitted to the Wyre borough council include a ten pin bowling arena and 10 screen cinema and a total revamp of Jubilee Gardens!!

The plans are on display at the Wyre Civic Centre and the authority's planning committee are set to consider the scheme.

Looks like the powers that be read and act immediately upon the comments on your message boards Nick! :)
Gary

Cleveleys

Postby michael » 25 Jun 2003, 17:26

I read about these developments on teletext last night. If this goes ahead it will ruin the character of Cleveleys. The place is already a thriving, bustling resort, the shops and cafes are always busy and shops rarely stay unoccupied for long. New businesses are opening all the time on the main street

You only have to look at Morecambe to see what damage commercial development can do. Once they started to build the bowling alley and retail outlets on the promenade, the fun fair closed, the pool closed and many of the new units they built stand empty. The town centre has become a ghost town. No-one goes anymore. It is now just a town on the coast. Not a seaside resort

I admit, the seafront and Jubilee gardens at Cleveleys need a lick of paint etc. I was there at the weekend and my kids loved the paddle boats, crazy golf, and paddling pool. There are so few places now where these facilities exist. Not everyone wants video arcades and burger bars. Give our children and grandchildren the chance to enjoy these facilities like we did instead of them just becoming memories on old photos

I understand the beach huts will be "in the way" so I assume these will be demolished even though they have stood for many many years. In my opinion they should be given listed status!!

There has been some development in recent years on the seafront, but this has been residential apartments and they have been built in keeping with the area and look good. They also sold very quickly indicating that people like Cleveleys for what it is now !! If this development goes ahead Cleveleys will just become an extension of Blackpool. Blackpool already has an abundance of bowling alleys, cinemas and fast food bars and its only 2 minutes away from Cleveleys !!

The so called Manchester developers who have submitted these plans have probably never had a day out in Cleveleys in their lives and will not appreciate the unique atmosphere it has. They are just interested in making money and then moving on to the next project

I remember about 20 years ago that plans were submitted to build a new supermarket and to create access they wanted to demolish the small childrens fun fair which is at the hub of the resort on the promenade. There was an uproar at the time and petitions etc were done. In the end the plans were thrown out and that childrens amusement park still stands (see reviews in prev messages) but will it again be at risk if the new plans go ahead ??

I apologise for going on about this but it is something I feel very strongly about. If anyone else feels the same then write to Wyre Borough Council. I just hope that opposition from locals and visitors is strong and that there are some councillors on the planning commitee that appreciate Cleveleys for what it is now. Why mend something that isnt broken!!
michael

Cleveleys

Postby Gary » 25 Jun 2003, 19:06

I'm not sure if I am qualified enough to reply as I have only been to Cleveleys twice in my life however...
Michael in my opinion has some very good points.

There's no doubt the British seaside that people once knew and loved is fast disappearing from these shores. I've often wondered with all these modern developments sprouting up how long it will be before we cannot see the sea at all. A frightening but realistic thought.

I look at Ocean Pavillion on Southport's sea front and have to admit that it has, despite all the financial hassles etc. added something to the front there (although I will stand corrected.) but I'm not sure that something like this would add much to Cleveleys.

If I'm not mistaken the beach huts at Cleveleys are just in front of a rather handy car park..Is this the area that will be redeveloped?

I too noticed the new housing at Cleveleys and would love to know what residents think of these plans.....

Jubilee Gardens??..I can't really comment although I did see a sign warning people not to paddle with bare feet in the paddling pool which sounded rather ominous..However I did see people enjoying the bouncy castle and park there.

And as for the children's fairground...It would be a total travesty if it ever disappeared.

The more and more I put down words on these posts about Cleveleys the more and more I realise that this is one place that should remain as it is..

Yes..thinking about it I do think I am qualified to comment.

Developers are almost dictating how we should / will enjoy ourselves..perhaps it's time that the visitors should have more of a say?
Gary

Cleveleys

Postby michael » 26 Jun 2003, 08:18

I can see Ive got some support. Cheers Gary !

I understand that they plan to build on part of the Jubilee gardens, the field next to the park and the car park as well but I dont know this for sure. I intend to look into this in more detail so watch this space!! The houses behind will probably object as I would have thought they bought those houses because they had a sea view. i wouldnt like my open sea view to be blocked by a bowling alley etc.

My dad tells me that the field and car park used to be a large fun fair many years back with roller coaster etc but this is well before my time!

I dont know for a fact that the current, small childrens fun fair would be at risk but I will try and find out

On Sunday they had actually cleaned out the paddling pool and were filling it up so it was quite busy in there. I suppose the trouble with paddling pools is that you never know what idiots have thrown in there at night

I am all in favour of these developments in areas that need them. A good example is Freeport shopping village at Fleetwood docks. This area was in decline until they opened Freeport, now there is a marina, new houses etc and the area is thriving again but Cleveleys would be ruined if such a development went ahead. With Blackpool being so close I cant honestly see the need for it

I will try and find out some more info!

Also, if your interested they have a gala day in Cleveleys on a Sunday at the end of August. Loads of stalls on the seafront and entertainment in the park etc. Also, they usually have some air display by a stunt pilot over the sea. Well worth a visit if the weathers good. It gets packed though, so you need to get there early

Michael
michael

cleveleys

Postby dave » 05 Aug 2003, 19:22

i visit cleveleys pretty frequently throughout the year and was last there on sunday 3/8/03 the place was packed in fact it took us half an hour to find a parking space its not just old people but a great mixture of old and young alike,
we visit the arcades and they seem to be doing well and masons amusements who run the childrens corner and the olympia arcade would never consider closing down the fair as its a instatutoin, if you go in the chip shop belonging to the masons group ajionin the arcade theres some great pictures of old cleveleys and the fair on the wall, also they have some old brochures framed from some olando theme parks such as busch gardens and a now closed baseball and broadwalk they have had these for many years qand they used to be on the wall in the arcade i always wanted to ask for them but they must treasure them to have them for so long also there is a wonderful framed picture of a old speedway ark hanging up in peggys kitchen cafe at the front end of the arcade opposite the childrens corner thats something else i whouldent mind having.
talking about cafes i think every other shop is a cafe on the shopping street and me and my wife have been in most of them if only for a cup of tea, and i agree the new development ideas will not be good for a great traditional seaside town futher up the coast the same can be siad about
bispham it as a character all its own and harts amusement arcade is a real gem. also the chipshop cafe is the same owners as the cleveleys kitchen and have tasty m.
regards dave,,
dave

Postby Gary » 28 Apr 2004, 18:37

April 2004 and walking on the promenade at Blackpool I spotted a helter skelter on the North Pier...Could it possibly be the one from The Children's Corner at Cleveleys?

I believe there is also a small ladybug roundabout on the Pier as well..Could this too originate from Cleveleys????
Gary

Postby iain » 28 Apr 2004, 21:37

There is a new Helter Skelter on the South Pier this year. As all the piers are owned by the same company I wonder if the one on the North Pier has in fact been moved there from the South.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Iain
iain

Postby Barry » 15 Jun 2004, 13:51

Having visited Blackpool several times and back there on holiday for a week in four days time :D , what is there in Cleveleys by way of shops and amusements/arcades? Worth a couple of hours 'out of town'?
Barry

Postby Gary » 17 Jun 2004, 17:02

Barry, It depends on what you are after. I liked the slower pace of the town and the change of scenery. The Children's Corner is great for young kids (I read somewhere that the owner always asked Sir G T from Blackpool about purchasing new rides for the corner)

If it's sunny the outside cafes offer up great value for money.

Methinks you will either love or hate the place.

Cheers!

Gary
Gary

Postby Gary » 12 Oct 2004, 17:59

There is certainly unrest in Cleveleys at present:

http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=62&ArticleID=869449

PS Michael could you e mail me at themagiceye@aol.com (Thanks)
Gary

Postby Gary » 17 Jan 2005, 19:23

If you are interested in keeping an eye on the proposed Cleveleys development plan near Jubilee Gardens check out:

http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=62&ArticleID=921379
Gary

Next

Return to Seaside Forum