The End of the Pier Show

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

The End of the Pier Show

Postby Gary » 04 Mar 2006, 21:14

Sad news indeed:

This from Blackpool Today:

THE final curtain is set to fall on Blackpool's famous North Pier theatre.

Leisure Parcs spokesman Michael Williams today confirmed the closure of the 129-year-old theatre is "one of the options in the melting pots" but refused to comment further.
But Andrew Oldham, manager of the North Pier Theatre for 11 years, today claimed the theatre would not re-open this year.
The shock news comes amid concerns that the company, which also owns the Winter Gardens and Blackpool Tower, has so far failed to announce its summer season line-up for the Opera House.
Blackpool favourite Joe Longthorne, who headlined many summer season shows at the pier, said it was "sad" news.
Angry hoteliers today slammed the move saying it could have a massive impact on hotel bookings.
Colin Asplin president of the Blackpool Hotel and Guest House Association, said: "It would be a real knockout blow for the town if the end of the pier show was to be scrapped."
The famous North Pier opened in 1863 with the theatre opening 15 years later.
Mr Oldham said today: "I think they (Leisure Parcs) should be publicly flogged for the way they have run down Blackpool."
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Neil » 04 Mar 2006, 22:04

That's sad news and a similar fate I fear will befall many other pier shows over the next decade. Bournemouth's end of pier show is also underthreat. It is operated by the Council under the trade name of 'Bic', however several other attractions operated by this group have already closed including the swimming pool on the sea front.

The swimming pool closure is also very bad news for Bournemouth. The original idea was that one thing deturing people from the British seaside was the weather. Therefore in summer people could use the beach and if it rains they can go to the Bic Centre swimming pool. It was a decent one as well with a wave machiene and fairly impressive flume.

I do worry about Borunemouths tourism as I can't see it lasting much longer. The problem is that in most seaside towns tourism is the main business, whereas Bournemouth is able to priorities things like hosting large conferences and has several head offices of fairly large companies.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby Zoidstar » 04 Mar 2006, 23:22

Didnt they open an IMAX cinima in Bournmouth a few years back but it closed after a few months due to nobody going to it? Buildings still standing redunted I think?
Zoid on!
Zoidstar

Postby Neil » 05 Mar 2006, 12:44

Yes, an IMAX 3D cinema did open, but the owners told the papers it had been so successful that they were closing it for refurbishment. A few weeks later it was announced t wouldn't open as it had always lost money, so very odd. Don't get me wrong, if you're planning to go to Bourneouth it does still have attractions like a helium ballon and Oceonarium (aquarium), but the line up of attractions seems to be going down hill a bit.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Return to Seaside Forum