Aha, This is More Like it...!

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Aha, This is More Like it...!

Postby Graeme » 30 Jan 2003, 09:39

...A Seaside forum!

I love seasides: from the Super Snails at Great Yarmouth, to the dramatic cliffs at Scarborough.
Graeme

Postby Fraser » 30 Jan 2003, 09:57

I too love seasides. However, I hate it when they go all modern. Whatever happened to brassbands going tiddly om pom pom?
Fraser

Postby Nick » 30 Jan 2003, 12:01

I too love seasides. They are like a fantasy world removed from day-to-day life. They can be a bit grim out of season, though!
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Fraser » 30 Jan 2003, 13:09

I love out of season seasides. They are full of atmosphere when deserted and shadowy. In afct i recently directed a play (well 4 years ago now) about 2 lancashire lasses who passed the out-of-season boredom by murdering homeless boys and hiding them in the deserted ghost train. (Makes it sound sensationalist, but it wasn't. It was a fantastic piece of writing by playwright Lynne Harvey.)
Fraser

Postby Nick » 31 Jan 2003, 23:19

Two weekends ago I was wandering around a deserted Dreamland with some TV people. It was really atmospheric, all those closed rides, but no people. I went to Folkestone later the same day, and it was absolutely packed. There were crowds on the seafront, it was sunny, and there was a Sunday market on at the Rotunda. You can walk around Rotunda amusement park even when it is closed (lots of people were doing that). If it had opened, I think it would have actually taken money, even in January! But Margate was very bleak. Quite a contrast.

Did you see that British film shown on telly a few months ago about Margate? I can't remember its name, but it was about asylum seekers staying in the town and was filmed out of season. The sign "Welcome to Dreamland" was used to great effect, as was the infamous tower block. A great film. Enough to put you off Margate for life.

So, basically, I love out of season resorts as well. And films about out of season resorts. Have you seen any out of season films?
Nick
Site Admin

Vacancies

Postby Gary » 09 Mar 2003, 22:17

I've not seen any out of season films recently but am I allowed to rehash a few paragraphs from a book called "Vacancies"..?

For me it conjures up the atmosphere of an unnamed resort out of season brilliantly:

"Everything suddenly went black. Despite the 'razor blade' wind blowing in off the sea and stinging his face and numbing his hands in the process, he managed to somehow fumble inside his pocket and place another coin into the slot.
Everything lit up again.
Now in a vain attempt to find the grey tanker once again on the horizon he swung the telescope to the right catching instead a figure walking on the beach towards the distant pier.
A solitary figure, hands in pocket, collar up and head down with a dog barking and running around in circles in a state of excitement on the sand."

And so it goes on..quite brilliantly really building up to an exciting and somewhat horrific end..The usual stuff is highlighted..the seedy arcades, deserted amusement park, graffitti etc. but it does has a great sting in its tail/tale!

..Now if only I could find a publisher. :)
Gary

Postby Graeme » 10 Mar 2003, 19:40

Excellent, Gary. I like the way the picture built up and the different dimensions unfolded. I didn't know where I was at first, but I gradually got my bearings and by the time the guy was looking through the pay-telescope, I'd already begun to be drawn in to the 4D world there.
Graeme

Return to Seaside Forum