Page 1 of 1

Colwyn Bay Pier Further Damaged By Storm Doris

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 14:03
by mrjimlowe
Storm Doris has caused a further collapse of the seaward end of Victoria Pier in Colwyn Bay.

A spokesperson for Conwy council said engineers and health & safety officers are monitoring the area closely and will inspect the structure at low tide, if it is safe to do so.

The derelict pier partially collapsed into the sea earlier this month.

More details here:

Drone footage of the previous collapse can be found here:

Re: Colwyn Bay Pier Further Damaged By Storm Doris

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 16:29
by mrjimlowe
Conwy Council plans to dismantle and store Colwyn Bay's Victoria Pier

Conwy County Council says it's had a positive meeting with campaigners fighting to save Colwyn Bay's Victoria Pier.
The derelict pier has been the subject of a long battle in recent years.
On February 1 2017, a section of the pier's balustrade at its lower end collapsed into the sea.
Conwy Council had argued that it can't afford the cost of restoring the pier.
In 2015, the Welsh Government rejected the council's application to demolish the pier altogether.
Council officers have now agreed to submit a Listed Building Consent application to dismantle the pier and then store the dismantled listed components for the Trust to restore in the future.
The Trust supports this exciting long-term vision of a renewed, vibrant and sustainable pier and looks forward to working with Conwy County Borough Council, the Town Council and its supporters to achieve this.
The council’s Pier Project Board has requested that a report on the proposals to dismantle the pier be presented to the council before the end of March 2017.
he seaward section of the pier will be dismantled, the elements of heritage value will be saved and stored.
The work is expected to take about 3 weeks, and contractors will be working under very strict guidelines to ensure the safety of their employees.
Council officers will continue to liaise with CADW and HSE, and keep them informed of progress.
Security arrangements will remain in place and members of the public are asked to keep a safe distance from the structure.