Morecambe

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Morecambe

Postby Gary » 17 Jul 2003, 17:53

I should really hate Morecambe big time.

The day they pulled down Frontierland was a very, very sad day for me and I vowed that I wouldn't return..besides what was there to return to?...

This isn't the first time I have eaten my words on this message board..

Last Saturday 12/ 7/03 was a lovely hot day..the sort of day that makes a six year old daughter ask for a trip to the seaside. Based in the Blackpool area last weekend I swallowed my pride and agreed on a trip to "Eric's place" with said daughter, wife and inlaws..

According to a local shopkeeper ALDI are moving in on area occupied by The Empire buildings on the prom..I don't know what the Empire buildings are / were..is this Frontierland area?..There were certainly evidence of tonnes of soil being moved at this hallowed spot.

(Good old log flume..or what remains of it is still standing proud at the back as of course is the Polo Tower at the front and the cablecar turnaround).

Next up The Midland Hotel..This has definately seen better days..But wait..all is not lost..

"The Midland Hotel has been sold to the property developer Urban Splash. The new owners hope that the listed building will eventually be able to reopen as a hotel and restaurant. The hotel had been on the market for the last few months after the last restoration project collapsed due to the rising cost of the project."

Next up Thora Hird..

Twenty six years ago (or thereabouts) The Victoria Pavillion closed its doors to the theatre going public but now there are rumours that the building could be converted into an entertainment centre named after the lady in question.

My daughter enjoyed the swing boats and kids' rides along the front. There are actually two separate areas of amusement rides..One near the jetty and the other situated in the area once occupied by the old swimming pool.
The latter has a waltzer, Crazy River water splash, dodgems, roundabouts and mirror maze.

The Tern project should be commended..the works of art dotted around Morecambe are a treat.

The stone jetty is a pleasure to walk down and the cafe at the end serves up good food at reasonable prices.

I have saved the best for last..(Nick, this is one that I'm sure you would enjoy)..It's a bookshop on the prom stacked high full of books and boxes of books and alleyways of books and more books crammed into a very small area. There are books behind you, to the side of you and balancing precariously on a rickety shelves above you..I would best describe it as a collection of small rooms and alleyways made of books. Yet the guy in charge seemed to know every book he had in stock, where it was, publisher etc.. I swear he knew every book he didn't have in stock as well!!

Whilst in the shop a lady came in asking for a book she had been searching for for years.
The owner didn't have it but told her that she would eventually find it in her travels and not to give up.
He then told her that he once found a book he had been searching for for 25 years and the feeling he had on finding it was great..
The lady was thankful and turned to leave.
He then added that the book he had found and read had turned out to be "bloody rubbish"
Everyone in the "alleyway" laughed..You had to be there :D

The shop is organized chaos but is simply wonderful..A hidden treat that I wasn't expecting and made me think that, you know, Morecambe maybe does deserve a second look...
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

morcambe

Postby dave » 05 Aug 2003, 18:52

yes gary i know the bookshop as i go in everytime i go to morcambe at least once a year, he never as any bboks on fargrounds or amusement parks, i ask him everytime he always says hard to get hold of never had any on the subject,
i can't beleive he's never had even one on the subject with all the stock he's had over the years.
and yes lancaster city council are trying to do a lot with morcambe but it stiil does not make up what they did with frontierland they keep having tenders for fairground rides on the promenade and have a permenant section called arena leisure, so if they feel the need for fairground attractions in the summer months why on earth did they decide to do away with frontierland which was doing what the rides are doing noe giving entertianment to the public. it might not have been making money but why leave up two rides anyway get rid of the lot and do a proper job
or they could have kept up the texes tornado only.
a real weird way of thinking from the coucil,
regards dave..
dave

Morecambe

Postby michael » 07 Aug 2003, 08:43

I agree Dave, I have often wondered who is on Lancaster council as they seem to have no idea what a seaside resort needs to attract visitors. They seem to be trying to drive people away instead of attracting them!

Frontierland has closed, the seafront swimming pool has closed, the annual illuminations are no more because the council refused to contribute any money to them. These illuminations used to be really good, the Happy Mount Park was open into the evening and the whole park was lit up with childrens ride, miniature railway, model village etc. It was a really good evening out for the children

And anyone remember the fiasco of the Blobby Land. They tried to change Happy Mount park, which is a really nice park into a Mr Blobby theme park which was destined to be a disaster right fom the start. Nobody went and it closed after a few months costing the council millions. Thankfully the park is now back to its original state, but the Council are down a few million in revenue. Maybe this wasted money could have been used to repair the swimming pool or keep the illuminations..who knows

Michael
michael

Return to Seaside Forum