The Lounge Cinema

To celebrate the release of the first ever book on the phenomenon of the seaside amusement arcade - Pennies by the Sea - we have launched this new arcades forum.

Moderator: dave771

The Lounge Cinema

Postby muttley » 17 Aug 2007, 17:46

I was absolutely fascinated to read about the building I grew up in. My dad was managing director at The Lounge from the fifties until its sale. I am totally amazed at the information Nick Laister has been able to obtain about the Lounge, its underground passages (where I am sure I saw a ghost) and its films.

I only found the website by chance and am now definitely ordering the book.
Martyn Uttley
muttley

THE LOUNGE etc

Postby Martin222 » 17 Dec 2007, 11:42

Fascinating site, and found it by chance.

I was born at the George Hotel in 1950, and remember with great fondness Premier, Joyland and also the Lounge Restaurant and cinema. I went to school with Martyn Uttley and remember his father. I also recall watching Seven Brides for Severn Brothers at the cinema; I guess that must have been late 50's?

Premier at the time was owned (if I am right) by Ken Wright. I have fond memories of Harry Brown and other members of the family into the late 60's.

I also worked in college vacations for Albert Corrigan whose Arcade was at the end of that stretch on the corner.

Wow - the memories this has brought to the surface!
Martin222

Return to Pennies by the Sea: Amusement Arcades Forum