Blackpool's Simulator

To celebrate the release of the first ever book on the phenomenon of the seaside amusement arcade - Pennies by the Sea - we have launched this new arcades forum.

Moderator: dave771

Blackpool's Simulator

Postby JJ » 18 Nov 2007, 22:08

I went in an arcade and there was this fantastic jet fighter simulator where you had to wear seat belts and it turned you over when the plane was upside down. Sadly i have heard its gone but dunno where. Are there anymore of these fantastic machines in the country as thats the only one i have seen.
North West Coastal Resorts
http://www.northwestcoastalresorts.com/
JJ

Simulator

Postby Geoffers » 28 Jul 2008, 08:52

Hi there,

the machine of which you speak, was the Sega R360. There was another of these at the "Funland" arcade at the Troc in London.

Sadly, this has now gone also.

As far as I know, the only remaining R360's in working order in the UK, are in private hands, and not operated to the public.
Geoffers

Hi

Postby cliffc » 28 Jul 2008, 11:20

Hi

Yes this was indeed the R360 from Sega the game was based on the game afterburner also from sega, this came in standup and moving versions but it only moved forward and back.

It was in the Central Pier entrance amusement arcade just inside the door as you walked in, I to played this, the last one I saw working in an amusment arcade was in Scarbrough in Jimmy Corrgnas large arcade at Spa end of the prom next to the Cliff lift, and this was 3 or 4 years ago now, I dont think there are any still working in arcades any more in the UK, I may however be wrong and if some one knows where there is a working example in an arcade please share it will us all.

CLiff C
cliffc

R360

Postby Geoffers » 28 Jul 2008, 12:38

Yes, it was the follow up to afterburner, called "G-Loc".

I do know of a person who has one of these R360 versions, actualy set up in his garage.!!!

The reason why they aren't generaly operated any more, is becasue Sega (who made them), dropped support for them some years back. With parts hard to come by, many operators moth balled them on safety grounds... there just wasn't the parts to keep them running safely.
Geoffers

Re: R360

Postby cliffc » 20 Oct 2008, 12:41

Geoffers wrote:Yes, it was the follow up to afterburner, called "G-Loc".

I do know of a person who has one of these R360 versions, actualy set up in his garage.!!!

The reason why they aren't generaly operated any more, is becasue Sega (who made them), dropped support for them some years back. With parts hard to come by, many operators moth balled them on safety grounds... there just wasn't the parts to keep them running safely.

Hi

There is a guy in the US who gets all the old ones he can lay his hands on and referbs them you can buy one off him for an incredibly stupid amount of cash, but thay are as new I cannot find the link ot his web site at the moment.

Its not unusual for manus to drop support for arcade game of all types as thay are not expected to have a much over 2 years of peak cash taking service, may be a little more than this if its a very popular game.

Possibly the only exeption to this rule are the Fruit Machines made by Electrocoin like Bar x, Super Red Bar and Big 7, thay just seem to go on and on.

I have found the link to the guy who restores them here it is

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8aiig/index.htm

Cliff C
cliffc

Return to Pennies by the Sea: Amusement Arcades Forum