A Few Amusement Machines

To celebrate the release of the first ever book on the phenomenon of the seaside amusement arcade - Pennies by the Sea - we have launched this new arcades forum.

Moderator: dave771

A Few Amusement Machines

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 09 Nov 2008, 21:37

As it's quiet, I thought I'd post some photos of old amusement machines.

This is a Mills Hi-Top, made in Reno around 1960, about half-way through restoration. It was scrap when I bought it. It had been burglarised sometime before decimal coinage came in and then left in a damp garage for 30 years.

A Ruffler & Walker "Win a Penguin" Allwin made in 1950. This had been disused for 35 years when I bought it, but it needed very little work to get it going and I haven't restored it, just fettled, cleaned, oiled and waxed it.

Tim Hunkin worked as a Saturday boy for Ruffler & Walker when he was 16 or thereabouts and often cites his time there as being the inspiration for his inventions.

Lastly, a Testo Reaction Meter. These were built by a TV and wireless repairman in Llandudno in the 60's and 70's and installed in pubs and clubs in the North-West. This was the cheapest one to buy, you can still get one on eBay for less than £50, but it is my favourite by far because the mechanism is so clever.

One day, if visitors ever came back to Margate, I would like to build up the collection further and open a museum, like there is in Brighton, Wookey Hole, Great Yarmouth etc.

I've been buying, restoring and selling amusement machines and pinball tables for as long as I can remember and I always think of these things as the "Quintissential Margate" :D :D :D
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Hi there folks!

Postby Snowball » 05 Feb 2009, 14:02

Hello all.

Great pics btw!

Yarmouth has a fantastic old penny arcade with restored classics right along the sea front promenade (I guess it's halfway between the old cinema building and the swimming baths. I assume this might be the one referred to in the previous post (?). Can't remember the name of the place but they have a little cafe attached for some light refreshment.

Cheers.
Snowball

Re: Hi there folks!

Postby Paul281 » 09 Feb 2009, 12:21

Snowball wrote:Hello all.

Great pics btw!

Yarmouth has a fantastic old penny arcade with restored classics right along the sea front promenade (I guess it's halfway between the old cinema building and the swimming baths. I assume this might be the one referred to in the previous post (?). Can't remember the name of the place but they have a little cafe attached for some light refreshment.

Cheers.

This is the place www.merrivalemodelvillage.co.uk

Then click on penny museum.

It's a great little place. You pay £1 for 15 old pennies, most of the machines are in perfect working order and to top it off, they even play music from the 50's and early 60's to give it a special atmosphere!
Paul281

Return to Pennies by the Sea: Amusement Arcades Forum