New Brighton 'regeneration'

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby EAS » 27 Aug 2009, 10:28

New Brighton scheme gains planning approval

Jamie Carpenter, Regen.net, 26 August 2009

A scheme to regenerate the Merseyside seaside resort of New Brighton has been given the go-ahead by Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council.
The scheme, intended to include a Morrison’s supermarket, a 66-bed Travelodge hotel, cinema, bars, restaurants and public spaces, had already gained outline planning approval.

But Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council last night approved the final reserved matters application for the second phase of the scheme.

The scheme’s developer Neptune Developments said it expected the project to be completed in 2011.

Neptune Developments director Rob Mason said: "This is great news for both New Brighton and Neptune as we are now all systems go to complete our vision for this once great seaside resort."

I'm totally underwhelmed. Sounds clone town to me.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby mrjimlowe » 26 Sep 2009, 20:09

Sounds clone town to me.

Yes, it certainly sounds like Morecambe, as that has a Morrison's and little else.

The only major improvement to new Brighton seafront so far is the newly rebuilt Floral Pavillion theatre which is certainly the showpiece of the seafront so far. http://www.floralpavilion.com/

Here is an excellent website featuring old photo's of new Brighton in it's heyday, plus other areas of Merseyside: http://20thcenturyimages.co.uk/trolleyed/4/wirral.html

Plus some pictures I took in July of the Floral Pavillion:

Regards

Jim Lowe

Website and Forum: http://www.northwestseasidetowns.co.uk
mrjimlowe

Postby Sue » 25 Jun 2010, 12:44

Hi, I live in Wallasey and just wanted to give a quick update on the regeneration which is underway.

The Project was split into two phases, the first phase of the £60m scheme was completed late last year with the award - winning 800 seat Floral Pavillion and Conference Centre (please see pictures above).

Phase Two, worth approximately £35m, includes a new WM Morrison Supermarket. a 66-bed Travelodge hotel, The Light - one of the country's first digital cinemas with 6 screens and 1000 seats, bars, restaurants, a watersports training centre, a new model boating lake, a public lido and gymnasium, as well as improved public transport links.

Bowman & Kirkland have been chosen to complete the work as one of the country's leading privately owned construction groups. Once the work is completed, it will bring a huge boost to the local economy.

The Model Boating Lake, Marine Lake and new Promenade are due to be completed by Summer 2010, with the Morrison Supermarket ready just after Christmas 2010. The Travelodge, Light Cinema and some of the leisure buildings should be ready by Spring 2011 and the rest of the leisure buildings and lido to be completed by Summer 2011.

I have read the previous comments regarding 'clones' and supermarkets, however in my opinion there has to be a compromise and if having a supermarket means New Brighton has a future then I say fine, what's the alternative? to have no supermarket and no New Brighton.
Sue

Return to Seaside Forum