Clacton Pavilion 1935/2010

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Comic Strip based on Clacton's Laughing Clown

Postby AnimatorRich » 18 May 2011, 16:45

Hi there Ian, and everyone else! I'm the guy doing the project, and it's actually a comic book about the laughing clown that stood outside the Pavillion for so many years. I am an animator working at Aardman, and they are inviting employees to submit ideas for their second cominc book in the 'Tales of the Spiffing' range (the first one can be purchased from Amazon at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Spiffing- ... 902&sr=8-1

Ian has been fantastic in supplying info and pictures regarding this legendary clown, and if anyone else wants to share the memories, or has any pictures, particularly from the 1980s/90s, it would be much appreciated. I want to create a comic strip that will be faithful to people's memories of him. He is certainly the one from 'Hi-De-Hi, or at least that was a replica of him. I would be so grateful for ANYTHING. I've got the story sussed, just need to decide on a design style.
AnimatorRich

Postby FATBOY » 18 May 2011, 19:46

good to see you on here rich. i pointed you towards that short glimpse of him in the pet shop boys musical film "it couldnt happen here" and im the baby boy in the pushchair in that picture of him outside the pavilion with my cousin and her friend in the other pushchairs, on clacton 70's and 80's facebook page :D
FATBOY

Postby Graeme » 18 May 2011, 23:54

Hello Rich, I'm a fan of Aardman, so I'd love to see what comes of this.

I remember the laughing clown well, although I don't have any photos of it and can't tell you anything about it that the pictures don't reveal. What I do remember is the way he rocked in a circular motion, and had "custard pies" fixed to each hand. I believe his hair was string-like and hung loosely.

Although it didn't give me a fear of clowns, his laugh was loud and harsh, and I remember still being able to hear it whilst eating fish & chips in the gardens!
Graeme

Postby ijtharper » 19 May 2011, 18:34

Custard pies? That's a new one on me. Which era was that?
ijtharper

Postby Graeme » 20 May 2011, 16:47

ijtharper wrote:Custard pies? That's a new one on me. Which era was that?

1980s. Perhaps I'm thinking of something else.
Graeme

Postby ijtharper » 20 May 2011, 19:49

I went to Clacton in 80, 83, 85, 86 and 91 and never saw any custard pies but then I was only there a couple of weeks each time so it may have changed. The circular motion you describe is spot on.
ijtharper

Postby Gary » 21 May 2011, 07:59

ijtharper wrote:I went to Clacton in 80, 83, 85, 86 and 91 and never saw any custard pies..

LOL!! I can't help laughing to myself at these wonderful surreal words :D

Rich and Ian - A very warm welcome to the Clacton Megathreads: Great to have you here!!

I've never been to Clacton but I am totally engrossed by the place simply because of what I have read on here (and, I have to add, Graeme's reports on the website Ultimate Rollercoaster)

Love reading about all the history. Love looking at all the images. Love reading all the stories. Love reading about all the memories.

Please keep them coming...and yes, Aardman gets a 10/10 from me. :)

If anyone on these threads fancies putting something together at all about Clacton for themagiceye at Joyland please let me know.

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagiceye/index.htm

themagiceye@aol.com

Cheers

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby FATBOY » 22 May 2011, 13:35

Gary wrote:
ijtharper wrote:I went to Clacton in 80, 83, 85, 86 and 91 and never saw any custard pies..

LOL!! I can't help laughing to myself at these wonderful surreal words :D

Rich and Ian - A very warm welcome to the Clacton Megathreads: Great to have you here!!

I've never been to Clacton but I am totally engrossed by the place simply because of what I have read on here (and, I have to add, Graeme's reports on the website Ultimate Rollercoaster)

Love reading about all the history. Love looking at all the images. Love reading all the stories. Love reading about all the memories.

Please keep them coming...and yes, Aardman gets a 10/10 from me. :)

If anyone on these threads fancies putting something together at all about Clacton for themagiceye at Joyland please let me know.

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagiceye/index.htm

themagiceye@aol.com

Cheers

Gary

i think thats a job for the chief engineer! :D
FATBOY

Postby lynsey » 22 May 2011, 14:29

thanks for the new pics and stuff re "charlie" laughing clown, i still miss him when i'm by the pavillion its just not the same without him. its great to have a photo of him thats clearer as mine are a bit blurry. please keep the memories and pics coming.:lol:
lynsey

Postby lynsey » 22 May 2011, 14:31

when project completed please let us know how to get one as i would love to read a comic about charlie. :lol:
lynsey

Postby Chief Engineer » 22 May 2011, 22:10

Not sure that I can remember any custard pies either and I was unlucky enough to have spent a lot of my working life with that never ending 'laugh' that I can still hear in my head even today.

I wish I could remember when the Pier decided to retire him and how he managed to cross the road to the Pavilion, which of course meant his laugh was far worse if you happened to be working in the Pier's upstairs offices as he virtually faced right into the windows.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby lynsey » 23 May 2011, 13:45

when was the clown at the pier and where was he?
lynsey

Postby AnimatorRich » 23 May 2011, 22:05

Hi everyone!

It's so great to find that so many others out there rememember this legendary clown. I can still hear that laugh, and see the way he moves. I'd love to see a video of him outside the Pavillion - that's how I remember him. I remember going on the amusements inside the Pavillion, and being quite scared because I had to pass him again on the way out.

Does anyone remember seeing him moving from inside? You could see the back and side of him, but you coulnd't hear him because of the noisy amusements! Scary...! Wish I could go back to those days.
AnimatorRich

Postby ijtharper » 23 May 2011, 22:25

I was never afraid of the clown but as a small boy I was petrified of the space saucer enclosed inflatable that was in the amusements. Once you walked in the main door there was a kind of animated steam engine on the back wall and a doorway on the rhs that led down a short corridor on the sea-side of the pavilion to the amusements. Just at the end of this corridor was an inflatable, shaped like a flying saucer and enclosed. It was red and white striped and scared me silly. When I was 4 my dad took me there and forced me to place my hand against it and I was soooo proud.
ijtharper

Re: Clacton Pavilion 1935/2010

Postby AnimatorRich » 25 May 2011, 08:39

Chief Engineer wrote:Welcome to the history of Clacton Pavilion, I thought I ought to take a short walk from my usual place of work to celebrate the 75 years of entertainment that the present Pavilion building has brought both holiday maker and locals alike. Sadly 75 years is going to be the limit on the present building, in a few weeks the builders will be knocking it all down to make way for a new centre of entertainment, of course it is not for the first time that the Pavilion has undergone such a transformation, the present building replacing the original one back in 1935.

I am sure most people who grew up enjoying the occasional show, beauty contest or any of the other forms of entertainment that the 'Clacton Urban District Council Entertainments department staged will be sad at the buildings demise, but I am sure a new generation will probably have the same thoughts in 75 years time when the phoenix does it all again.

Unfortunately I do not have as much historical documents and insight on the Pavilion as I do for Clacton's slightly bigger brother, the Pier, but I have a few which will hopefully stir some memories from others who I would love to contribute for all to enjoy.

CE

When times were fun, a picture taken on top of the Pavilion back in 1971

Dear Chief Engineer,

Thanks so much for setting this up and for all your info on the Pavilion. Just to confirm - did you actually work at the Pavilion or was it nearby? I'm currently developing an idea for a comic about the laughing clown that stood outside for many years. I was born in 1980, and we had numerous holidays in Clacton (we lived in Harlow).

I'm actually going back to Clacton this very weekend to get inspiration and take some photos. Do you know anyone who works at the Pavilion who might be able to supply me with more historical information regarding the clown, i.e. who designed him, where he came from, the various costume changes, etc. Better still, if there's anyway I could meet someone to discuss it this weekend that would be fantastic, although it will be either on the Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday.

I would be so grateful for any information you can supply. Many thanks, and hope to hear from you soon.

Richard
AnimatorRich

PreviousNext

Return to Seaside Forum