Barry Island Pleasure Park

Joyland Books is the home of themagiceye, the world's best loved amusement park history website. Discuss amusement parks past and present in themagiceye's very own forum.

Moderator: dave771

Barry Island Pleasure Park

Postby fascinatedbyoldrides » 04 Aug 2011, 19:11

Went there recently and it looks so sad, the Log Flume is empty and rotting and the Haunted Mine is hidden by travelling rides and full of junk from what I could see. Poor Frankenstein (is he in fact a John Wardley creation from the orriginal Scream Machine?) Was broken and hanging down off the front of the ride :cry:

The Jungle Ride was still full of water but looked full of algae and abandoned. The entrance to the cave looked spooky too!

Am doing a project on it taking photos every season to show its decline starting this year and in comparison to photos I have from the 90s its shocking. I can understand that it takes money to keep rides like these up but they would make a lot of money if they were running properly. A proper shame.
fascinatedbyoldrides

Re: Barry Island Pleasure Park

Postby Gary » 04 Aug 2011, 19:45

fascinatedbyoldrides wrote:Went there recently and it looks so sad, the Log Flume is empty and rotting and the Haunted Mine is hidden by travelling rides and full of junk from what I could see. Poor Frankenstein (is he in fact a John Wardley creation from the orriginal Scream Machine?) Was broken and hanging down off the front of the ride :cry:

The Jungle Ride was still full of water but looked full of algae and abandoned. The entrance to the cave looked spooky too!

Am doing a project on it taking photos every season to show its decline starting this year and in comparison to photos I have from the 90s its shocking. I can understand that it takes money to keep rides like these up but they would make a lot of money if they were running properly. A proper shame.

Welcome to the boards fbor :)

Your photo project sounds like a great one!

There is something so sad and poignant about the decline of an amusement park or fair.

The rides and sideshows hold so many happy memories for so many people.

Barry Island 1980s: Phil Gould

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby fascinatedbyoldrides » 04 Aug 2011, 20:01

Thank you!

Will get around to adding some of my photos once I get used to the forum :D

Classic photo! Great to see the fair in happier times x x x
fascinatedbyoldrides

Postby mesmoland » 06 Aug 2011, 15:44

Welcome :D
I have some memories of going to Barry in the mid 80's it had a great funhouse with a death slide.I have got a few old photos somewhere :roll:
I remember having the worst fish and chips there ever.The fish was in bright yellow cardboard batter,even the seagulls couldn't eat it,happy memories.
Visit mesmoland on you tube "The World's First Cerebral Theme Park "
mesmoland

Postby faro » 17 Oct 2011, 11:11

its such a shame they are letting barry islands funfair deteriorate like this.it could be a good selling point to attract people there(especially if they renovated the older rides they still have)its also been on a few tv shows these last few years(gavin and stacey,sarah jane adventures)we used to go there on day trips all the time when i was a kid,they had an enterprise which was unique in the uk at that time!the council should really wake up to this and protect a good asset to the town!
faro

Return to themagiceye: Amusement Parks Forum