Clacton Pier During the 70s and 80s

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Postby marc » 02 Apr 2010, 18:01

Hi Chief Engineer,
I had my first visit today and love the new tea cups ride. Was this ride a toyset before and where did it come from. Thanks in advance[/img][/url]
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby Chief Engineer » 02 Apr 2010, 23:14

Hi Fatboy,

It has been a bit hectic getting everything ready in the lead up to Easter , so not been online for a while.

I thought you might enjoy a little look and a quick explanation of how the 'Waveswinger' works, although it is quite a simple idea, it can be hard to imagine what is going on under the covers. Sorry for the jigsaw picture, but it seemed the easiest way to piece all the images together so you get the full picture as I could not get a full shot in one go.

As you can see there is a central column which has a slight angle at the top, this is the part the gives the chairs on the waveswinger the tilt as it rotates. There is an inner and outer drum that sit over the column, the inner drum is pulled up the column by two wire ropes in the slots either side of the column attached to a big hydraulic ram inside the column, the outer drum which rotates via two hydraulic motors against the inner drum, holds all the frame work for the chairs and decorative panels. When the inner drum is pulled up to the top of the column it follows the angled column to tilt the whole top over but also the inner column is rotated at half the speed of the outer drum in the opposite direction , which gives the ride that classic wobbling top.

I'll run through the build up in my next post.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 02 Apr 2010, 23:21

Hi marc,

Glad you enjoyed your visit, just a shame about the weather, typical Easter.

Yes you are right, the juvenile tea cups ride was a toyset, it has belonged to the new owners of the Pier for a while, I am sure they must have some pictures of the ride with its original toys which I can post up and of course I will find out about the maker, age and history.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 17 Apr 2010, 16:11

Hi marc,

Here as promised is a picture of the ‘T’ cup ride with its original more traditional toy set fixed to the platforms.

According to the paperwork it was manufactured C1940 by Orton & Spooner with a question mark to follow, but later on it is credited to Maxwell & Sons, so I will have to do a bit more digging.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby marc » 20 Apr 2010, 18:56

Thanks C.E. great pictures, pity that it could not have been kept as a toyset
HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
"HACKS"
FELIXSTOWE`S NUMBER "1" ENTHUSIAST
Hacks Pix
www.funfairworld.co.uk
marc

Postby AJ » 31 Aug 2010, 20:57

It seems that the Whirlwind could be on its way back, well to the UK at least.
Lightwater Valley are looking at it as a possible option for next year.
http://valleymania.co.uk/news/show_news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1281983081&archive=&template=VM_Main
AJ

Postby FATBOY » 03 Sep 2010, 21:21

brilliant!!!!! will have to travel up there to ride it!!!! :D where the chief engineer, 900K seems a snip!!! come on clacton pier pull ya finger out...
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 25 Feb 2012, 23:09

Hi everyone,

I found some old ride tickets today at the local boot market. Up until a couple of years ago most ride tickets used on the Pier were printed paper. However there was a short period when laminated reusable tickets were used. I think the original idea was to save money on cost of having tickets printed, but it never lasted more than a few years, the labour of recounting the reusable laminated tickets was possibly a factor in their demise.

Two variations of laminated ride tickets were used, the slightly larger ones with a vintage postcard Pier scene on the reverse or the ones in the picture below. The only other time there was a slight change in the type of ride ticket issued followed the upgrading of the London Underground ticket system. The Pier purchased all of the remaining paper stock along with around twenty of the old ticket machines you would have found at the underground stations. These machines actually printed the ticket internally on quite thick paper rolls.

CE

Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 04 Mar 2012, 12:04

Postcard time,

A glimpse of the ‘Roundup’ ride in this view of the Pier. Other outside rides include the Big Wheel, Speedway, Big Jets, Dodgem track, Go-Gator and Helicopters. I am pinning a date of 1989 on this view. The Go-Gator was purchased new in 1988 and can just be seen in the shot with its blue and white tilt, the postcard is unused but has a number 89 in one corner.

The Jolly Roger theatre still has a tint of red and white paint on the roof from when it housed the Circus.

CE
Chief Engineer

The pier

Postby kl9433 » 12 Mar 2012, 09:43

Hello there guys.

I am new to these Forums and wanted to firstly introduce my self. I am sally, and i'm a student. I sometimes want to take part in these forums but find it a little nerve racking at times. How ever i wanted to know whether when in the fair ground do i need to use sterling or would i need to purchase tokens.

If i need to change money into tokens, is this possible at the fair ground entrance.

kinds regards

Sally....
kl9433

Postby Chief Engineer » 12 Mar 2012, 23:15

Hi Sally and a warm welcome to one of the two Clacton Pier forums kindly hosted by the Joyland books web site.

For Clacton Pier rides you will need to either purchase 'ride tokens' or a 'wristband' to enable you to enjoy the fairground rides. The tokens can be brought from either token vending machines located around the Pier or from the main ticket box which accepts cash or cards.

The Pier web site gives you all the details of the rides, pricing and other Pier attractions, plus special online deals :-

http://www.clactonpier.org.uk

Hope you enjoy your visit.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby kl9433 » 15 Mar 2012, 11:38

Oh perfect. Thanks :D
kl9433

Re: Clacton Pier During the 70s and 80s

Postby Chief Engineer » 10 Aug 2012, 19:48

A seagull’s view of the outside rides c1990 and a rare glimpse of the Sprinter.

Unfortunately there is not a lot else going on in the photograph, a closer look to the service road to the left of the arcade has some remnants of the water chutes, a few galvanised uprights are lying on the deck awaiting their fate. A few uprights did get a second life as part of the Seaquarium building.

CE
Chief Engineer

Re: Clacton Pier During the 70s and 80s

Postby FATBOY » 09 Mar 2020, 21:57

been 8 years!!! you still about mr engineer?? so much has happened with the pier for the better :) post back if your still around on here?
FATBOY

Previous

Return to Seaside Forum