CPO Approved

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

CPO Approved

Postby porf » 17 Aug 2012, 11:24

I'm sure it'll be posted here shortly, but this made my day!

The Dreamland Trust (DreamlandMargate.com) reports that the CPO has been approved.

Still a little more to be done before work on the site can be started, see details on the Trust site, but still absolutely fantastic news.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Re: CPO Approved

Postby DaveD » 17 Aug 2012, 11:33

Fantastic, really fantastic news. Well done to everyone.
DaveD

Postby woody » 17 Aug 2012, 12:20

great news
woody

Postby dreamland » 17 Aug 2012, 12:50

brilliant news ! so we have saved dreamland finally after a long 10 years !
dreamland

Postby Hairy Vince » 17 Aug 2012, 14:11

Fantastic News!

Finally real and genuine progress can be made on this issue
Hairy Vince

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 17 Aug 2012, 14:25

Thank goodness for that, well done Nick et al. :D

Thanet council has been given the go-ahead to purchase Margate's disused Dreamland theme park.

The authority wants to turn the site into a £10m heritage park with historical rides and sideshows.

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government gave approval for the compulsory purchase of Dreamland following a public inquiry.

The current owners DreamlandLive objected to the sale, saying the council's plan was not affordable.

Their plan involved building 400 homes, as well as restoring the Grade II* listed Scenic Railway around a fun park and a digital media studio.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We've always been clear that doing nothing is simply not acceptable”

Councillor Clive Hart
The two competing visions of the site were aired during a public inquiry into the site in January.

Councillor Clive Hart, Labour leader of Thanet District Council, said: "I'm thrilled with today's announcement.

"This is a key step to unlocking the regeneration of the Dreamland site and means we can start to move in the right direction, in partnership with The Dreamland Trust, to progress the future of the site which has been vacant for a significant amount of time."

He added: "Dreamland is such an important asset for Thanet, and for thousands outside of the area, so we've always been clear that doing nothing is simply not acceptable.

"It's taken a lot of hard work and determination to get to this point, with the council spending more than £1m on carrying out urgent repairs to the neglected heritage assets.

"I'm thrilled that the Secretary of State is confident in our plans to help secure the regeneration of Dreamland, and today's announcement moves us closer to delivering this greatly anticipated amusement park."

'National significance'
The park will be run by the Dreamland Trust, which will be given the site by the council for a peppercorn rent once the title to the land has been secured.

Nick Laister, who chairs the Dreamland Trust, said: "The Dreamland Trust is delighted that the Secretary of State has backed our plans to reopen Dreamland as a major seaside visitor attraction of regional and national significance.

"The residents and businesses of Thanet, and its many existing and future visitors, have waited far too long for work on this project to start.

"With our funding in place and our plans drawn up, today's news is hopefully the final major hurdle that we will have to cross.

"The Dreamland Trust is ready to make a start on site and we hope to have Stage One of the project fully open by Easter 2014.
Last edited by Vince, Charlie and Sam on 17 Aug 2012, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Gary » 17 Aug 2012, 15:11

This has made my year. CONGRATS to all involved. :D

PS: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Gary » 17 Aug 2012, 16:42

I was wondering what the reply would be from DreamlandLive would be:

A spokeswoman for the Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company, which has since rebranded itself as DreamlandLive, said: "Clearly we are very disappointed with this outcome. We remain convinced that the only viable, sustainable way forward for the Dreamland site is the right mix of entertainment space funded by much-needed quality housing. This is key to the area's regeneration.

"We will be assessing the details of the report with our legal team in the coming weeks and responding more fully in due course."
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Lou » 17 Aug 2012, 17:20

Whooooo Hooooo!!!!! Fantastic !!!! x :D :wink: :D :wink:
Lou

Postby Peet » 17 Aug 2012, 18:59

Brilliant news!
Peet

Postby vann98 » 17 Aug 2012, 19:03

I have had a pretty bad week, as one of my relatives sadly passed away but it feels only right for this news to come our way, and had certainly reintroduced a smile on my face.

I know there is still a few smaller hills to cross, but overly I am ecstatic with the result and sincerely hope MCTRC choose to accept the decision. If not they are purposely delaying the restoration of listed structures and the wider regeneration of Margate.

Wow, I am just so pleased. Couldn't be happier.
Last edited by vann98 on 19 Aug 2012, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
vann98

Postby Busheyfields » 18 Aug 2012, 05:37

Roll on Easter 2014! Many thanks to all who have worked so tirelessly onthis project
Busheyfields

Postby jo.clarinet » 18 Aug 2012, 05:41

Great news! :D
Do we have all of the original Dreamland site now, or just a proportion?
jo.clarinet

Postby reggie » 18 Aug 2012, 06:21

This is long awaited great news. Congratulations and roll on 2014. :D
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
reggie

Postby porf » 18 Aug 2012, 07:16

I believe the CPO was for the entire site based on the documents submitted by TDC.

The last thing I recall hearing regarding usage was that the heritage park would use about half the site with the remainder used for parking, events and possible expansion.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum