Clacton Pier (The history)

The Great British Seaside Resort: sun, sand, piers, funfairs and donkey rides. But that is only part of the attraction. If you love being beside the seaside, talk about it here!

Moderator: dave771

Re: Clacton Pier (The history)

Postby RHaynes » 15 Aug 2012, 21:58

Hi Chief Engineer,

I did send you a private message, but not sure if you received it, so just thought I'd paste the text here:

You may remember me - we last met around this time last year on Clacton Pier. I was about to begin working on a comic about the famous Laughing Clown and I wanted to let you know that, finally, it's nearly finished. The reason it's taken so long is because the deadline kept changing and I ended up working on it just on and off for many months, letting other things get in the way. Only recently I've been hard at it, and I'm aiming to get it finished this weekend.

The plan is for it to be published in a book with quite a few other comics in the Autumn some time and, as promised, I will certainly make sure you receive a copy. Meeting you and hearing about your memories was a great inspiration and helped me move it forward, so thank you. Today I am working on the title page, and would like to include your name in 'special thanks' on the bottom if you're happy for me to do so. If so, would you mind just letting me have your full name?

Thanks so much, and I'll be in touch.

Richard Haynes
RHaynes

Postby Chief Engineer » 17 Aug 2012, 19:43

Hi Richard,

It is really good to hear that your project is nearing completion, I am certainly looking forward to what I am sure will be an entertaining read and certainly a trip back down memory lane.

I know when we met there was a little controversy about where the clown actually resided, some of the early photographic evidence available on the internet certainly had him in greeting the summer tourists at the Pavilion entrance, but my memory of his infectious laugh eating into my head each day at work had him living at the Pier entrance. For weeks I scoured every available picture for some reassurance that my memory was correct, Eureka! It turned out that I actually had posted up a video clip of the Pier from 1985, and there he is, to the right of the central entrance at the beginning of the clip:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZVrKQ-9-s&feature=plcp

His laugh is certainly echoing in my head now!

Chief Engineer
PS I have sent you a PM Richard
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 17 Aug 2012, 19:57

I am not quite sure how 1958 became the 21st anniversary of the Ocean Revue. The yearly program dates certainly don’t seem to match that year, but it obviously got chosen for a reason.

CE

Poster picture courtesy of Michael Goss
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 18 Aug 2012, 07:32

hi CE any news on stellas revenge? seems such a shame with it being at the peak of clactons season?
FATBOY

Postby Chief Engineer » 19 Aug 2012, 19:47

A postcard find which shows the Ocean Theatre in its original form, over the years like most Pier buildings in underwent a few transformations, but even today the main core of the building is still intact.

I am dating this card to 1933, the front west concrete slab has been piled and cast in readiness for the Blue Lagoon building.

CE
Chief Engineer

Postby Chief Engineer » 19 Aug 2012, 19:51

Hi FB,

We are hoping its not going to be to long before its reopen, I am sure everyone will understand that while the HSE are investigating this unfortunate incident there is not a lot more that I can tell you.
Chief Engineer

Postby FATBOY » 24 Aug 2012, 17:52

good to see SR back in operation :0)
FATBOY

Postby Stagehand » 23 Nov 2012, 08:14

[quote="Chief Engineer"]I am not quite sure how 1958 became the 21st anniversary of the Ocean Revue. The yearly program dates certainly don’t seem to match that year, but it obviously got chosen for a reason.

CE

Hi the reason being that there were 2 shows a year running monday to wednesday / thursday to saturday. The idea being to give the vast number of hoilday makers at that time a choice of shows. The cast remained the same, but the stage crew/ lighting/ wardrobe and band had the task of changing everything over for the next version. The cast obviously had to remeber which show they were in, and on rare occassions forgot. :lol:
I should Know I worked there
Stagehand

Re: film archive of Clacton Pier

Postby Stagehand » 15 Dec 2012, 16:51

Hello everyone I have found some more footage of the piers wonder pool

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/water-sprites-2/query/clacton
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/seaside-queen/query/clacton
The Water Sprites were some of the dance trope from the Ocean Review. The boats in the pool were lent by Butlins. All the events such as swiming galas and water shows were all arranged and produced by Frank Adey.
Stagehand

Re:

Postby Stagehand » 15 Dec 2012, 17:23

Image[/quote]

Dear Frank a genius in the theatre world. He gave both my father and in later years me the opportunity of the world of entertainment.
Back in 1950 a scenic artist Ted Woodley, my father, was working on a large Bernard Delfont production of Carrousel in the paint rooms of the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. One morning while Frank was visiting the theatre on business he was taken back stage to the paint rooms to have a look round. On entering he was met by my father who showed him round. They apparently had quite a long chat, and out of this came the association of my father becoming the sole scenic artist for both the Ocean Review, until the early 70's, plus the Showtime productions at the Jolly Roger which ended in the early 60's. Through this association our families became very good friends which lasted until Frank passed away in the late 70’s.
Stagehand

Postby Gary » 17 Dec 2012, 06:05

^^
Brilliant, Stagehand! :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Stagehand » 17 Jan 2013, 12:06

It was sad to read this item in the Essex Gazette "Mr William Ball Passed away following a long illness, 23rd December 2012, aged 68 years. Beloved Husband of Lynn. Much loved Father of Sons Billy and Elliot." A Funeral Service commenced from Clacton Pier, Monday 14th January at 10.30am. With a church Service at Our Lady of Light Catholic Church 11.15am. Donations if desired, to McMillan Nurses and all enquiries to Lesley Barlow Funeral Services. Tel: 01255 222899.
Stagehand

Postby DolphinBoy » 17 Jan 2013, 13:50

Yes very sad news, thoughts are with the Ball family at this time.
DB
DolphinBoy

Postby Stagehand » 17 Jan 2013, 15:01

I have found some more interesting pictures of the pier :D

:arrow: http://www.clactondolphins.co.uk/Pages/pier-history-page.html
Stagehand

Postby kevin » 01 Feb 2013, 22:21

kevin

PreviousNext