Pay on entry fee

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Pay on entry fee

Postby dreamland » 01 Apr 2015, 18:02

Having a pay on entry fee is much better than having free entry as then dreamland will only attract people that want to be in dreamland ! Having free entry will just attract chavs and people that will cause trouble ! And having a pay on entry fee will be better for security of dreamland !
dreamland

Re: Pay on entry fee

Postby Phillerz » 01 Apr 2015, 20:33

Ive always thought rides seemed to expensive on pay per ride. Parks with that structure never work
Pay to get in puts off many people from spending cash in the park while choosing not to ride. - It encourages people like me to 'get our monies worth', that cant be good for the cost of running the rides?

I like the middle ground. Free entry, but a wristband (Same price as the current entrance price). Best of both worlds. I take your point on chavs, but they will find a way in either way. Thats the job of security ^^
Phillerz

Postby dreamland » 07 Apr 2015, 08:15

After dreamlands open day on the 19th June will you still have to buy tickets for a day out at dreamland or will it be free entry and use a token or wristband system ?
dreamland

Postby Nick » 07 Apr 2015, 21:59

You will still have to buy tickets to go into Dreamland, which you can do online or at the entrance.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Chris H » 12 Apr 2015, 21:53

The operators would be foolish to continue this pay on entry after the initial few weeks.

As proven before, this prevents larger numbers from entering the park.

Not everyone wants to go on rides but will spend cash on food, drink and gift stalls which will all count considerably towards the parks turnover.

Wrist bands for rides should be the way forward.
Chris H

Postby dreamland » 12 Apr 2015, 22:32

Pay on entry fee is much better ! We don't want chavs and yobs hanging around in dreamland doing nothing ! We want people in dreamland that actually want to be there and go to a theme park !
dreamland

Postby aweber1us » 13 Apr 2015, 07:46

Im with you Chris , theres members of my family that would love to walk around while us kids [ me at 47 ] have a few rides.
aweber1us

Postby dreamland » 13 Apr 2015, 08:11

Pay on entry fee is much better ! We don't want chavs and yobs in dreamland doing nothing because they have nothing better to do ! When the bembom brothers had a pay on entry fee hundreds and thousands and even millions of people visited every year !
dreamland

Postby dreamland » 13 Apr 2015, 08:19

You don't see Alton towers chessington or Thorpe park or any other theme park in the uk with free entry wristband services so why should dreamland do that ? I'm planning on going to dreamland once a week when it opens and I don't mind spending £15 a week on entry fee !
dreamland

Postby dreamland » 13 Apr 2015, 08:40

With pay on entry fee you will get respectful people and decent people in dreamland that want to enjoy themselves but if you have free entry with wristbands not all people but the most people will be local chavs and yobs just causing trouble and we don't want that ! If you know margate like I do with chavs and yobs you will know where I'm coming from and understand what I mean and most yobs and chavs are skint and dreamland won't be making money from any of those kind of people ! I'm not saying all people are bad but in margate there's lots of chavs and yobs and dreamland will attract them kind of people if its free entry
dreamland

Postby dreamland » 13 Apr 2015, 14:47

I went in to the dreamland HQ today and I've been told that dreamland will allways be pay on entry so I'm very happy about that !
dreamland

Postby AJ » 18 Apr 2015, 13:02

Difference between Alton Towers, Chessington & Thorpe Park is they are destination parks Dreamland however is not (yet!). People go to spend a day at those parks where the majority of people will go to Margate for the beach as well as a trip to Dreamland.

I understand what you say regarding 'chavs' but take a look at Southend and Adventure Island. Southend is renowned for its 'chav' element yet Adventure Island seems to manage this element very well.
AJ

Postby ex harry gray » 26 Apr 2015, 10:12

att dreamland, I think you should pay a visit to southend on sea, adventure island as been a walk though all its life and believe me there is no trouble there as they have good security and probably the most successful park after Blackpool and run by the same family since they left the kursaal in the 70's
when I worked at the kursaal we hope for sunshine in the morning to get the punters to southend then after 1pm overcast to get them off the beach and in to the park.

don't put dreamland on the same par as inland parks, seaside parks all over the country have tired pay to enter and look what happened to them.

as a Londoner with a caravan in kent I was looking forward to coming margate again for the whole day as when I was there 2 years ago I'm sorry to say it was a dump.
hopefully with dreamland opening some of the surrounding area will be cleaned up but if not I will not be coming just to pay £15 to enter dreamland.
I am sorry to say margate has had its day but really hope it is a success and like to thank all involved especially nick Laister and david littleboy.
dave

fagb member 208
fairground society life member 44
ex harry gray

Postby vann98 » 26 Apr 2015, 12:04

Will be interesting to see how this affects their numbers.
I know my family (me excluded) would be happy to make the trip down every couple of months just for half a day in the park and maybe some of the side attractions but they're not going to be paying £15.00 per trip when they're only going to go on a few main rides. Still if that is there way of weeding out those who aren't looking to spend big, then congrats, they have succeeded.

ex harry gray is right. The inland parks mentioned are on an entirely different spectrum and comparing them is void.
Even comparing it to Blackpool is a little bit unrealistic. At least until they rake in some more rides.
vann98

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Apr 2015, 12:44

If I were holidaying in Margate for a week, I'd probably pop into Dreamland daily to have a couple of rides - or more. But not if it is pay-one-price admission. This only benefits those visiting Margate specifically to go to Dreamland.

Very short-sighted, but it seems that the new management are being short-sighted on several aspects of running the park, as evidenced by the way all us non-Margate Save Dreamland supporters were given the two-fingered salute when the tickets and special opening offers went on sale.

I'd suggest that, if an admission fee is payable, then it should be a smaller fee with a wristband system for rides or a token system. The admission fee should give admission for a week - that way, holidaymakers will not be deterred from having a daily Dreamland session.
SuburbanHomeboy

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum