WHY is the park closed ALL WEEKEND??

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

WHY is the park closed ALL WEEKEND??

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 25 Jul 2015, 21:46

No comment - just a question.

Getting really fed up now. What the F**** is going on?

Half the rides closed on Thursday.

Park closed ALL WEEKEND.
SuburbanHomeboy

Re: WHY is the park closed ALL WEEKEND??

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 25 Jul 2015, 21:56

This was posted on their Facebook page at 12.30pm today and there is still no reply at 10:56pm:

Went to dreamland today for the first time in years, planned a family trip that I had to book a day holiday day so I could come along with my family. What a waste of a trip. I was really looking forward to this to as it brings back some good memories as a kid. We contacted dreamland yesterday and looked on social media for updates about times of opening today. Yesterday they said that the park will open at 1 and we also made a phone call this morning that advised us that they will be opening at 1pm so we made our way to Margate as we thought we could go to arcades and go on rides from 1pm. We arrived at dreamland at 11.45 with 10 adults and 10 kids .. We were approached by a member of staff who explained that dreamland was closed as rides had been damaged. Now I completely understand if the rides were not safe for us to go on then that's why you closed it. But what I don't understand is when I look at your page after I've just been told that the rides are closed that you updated your page on this at 11.45. We also phoned in to make sure it wasn't a wasted journey and you said it would be open and 1pm. The man advised us to go and see the team and maybe they could give us some sort of compensation on some free tickets. But not only did they not seem to give a crap they offered absolutely nothing not even a sorry. When 10 adults take a day off work to please there kids, now we have 10 unhappy children that were really let down by this and also 10 adults that didn't need to be off and I have lost out on money, my time and petrol getting there and back. When we had done everything to communicate with you to make sure this didn't happen. You would expect more. You would expect that when people go to work in the morning at 9 that they would know that the weather had caused damage not at 11.45. I am so disappointed and I can't believe as a company you could not offer anything to us, not even a heartfelt apology. Next year when we plan a trip. We will be going to south end. This would of been less of a disappointing day if you had recognized that you did not less us know sooner and you were willing to take responsibility. Instead you've lost 20 loyal customers to dreamland and we would of came back year after year just like the old days.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby EAS » 25 Jul 2015, 22:22

I took these from Twitter. I've blanked out the @ names of those being replied to. Update was 11:28 AM - 25 Jul 2015
Attachments
Dreamland closed 1.png
Dreamland closed 1.png (83.75 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
Dreamland closed.png
Dreamland closed.png (53.02 KiB) Viewed 8397 times
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Jul 2015, 08:00

...so why no reply to the customers on Facebook? The powers that be are NOT communicating with their customers - just putting out their notifications and that's that. Why have a Facebook page with comments enabled if you're not going to actually respond - or are they only looking for the good stuff?

Word of mouth - especially important in this age of social media - is going to destroy Dreamland faster than any bad weather closure.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby EAS » 26 Jul 2015, 08:11

Possibly because Dreamland management don't wish to get into online spats? That's wise of them. No doubt they are reading the complaints and taking them onboard, but I do feel a great deal has been achieved in a very short space of time and maybe this should be recognised too.

I'm sure there are also many, many happy customers. It's just they tend not to go online to say so.

New video:

https://youtu.be/Ng2FDMasrgw
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Jul 2015, 08:37

Online spats are best avoided, I agree.

Unfortunately, to not respond in a positive way to online complaints makes it look like you just don't care. WIth no responses, these people are posting again - and I have seen this plenty of times - saying as much.

A good PR department will be able to respond in such a way as to note the complaint, but put forward a positive response. This isn't happening, and it is reinforcing people's negative views - those who complained in the first place, and those who then read their comments.

Look at Alton Towers - they did a fantastic PR job following the Smiler crash that was an infinitely worse situation.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby aweber1us » 26 Jul 2015, 08:52

Well said EAS , been on the Speedway about five times last Saturday and no point was it run badly or in a dangerous manner. David Littleboys was watching his ride at one point, these rides have a recommended top speed to which they must comply. I think the time has come for me to leave this site as some of the idiots on here just love to be heard and don't understand the damage they are doing to Dreamland. Or may be they do. Been twice its good value, not an all day thing really , but it never was. Can't wait to go again with or without the Scenic.
aweber1us

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Jul 2015, 09:45

I've been a member of this forum since the early days, and have been an active member of the Save Dreamland campaign since its inception.

Take a look back over my posting history and you'll see that the only negative stuff has been down to the way Dreamland is now being operated - from the first announcement of the "priority for locals" on opening day that could well have meant my not being able to actually attend the event I had been hoping for for a decade.

I have now been twice and seen the park in action. As an enthusiast, and someone who is eager for Dreamland to do well, it is a thrill to be able to do so. I saw past the negative stuff on opening day and was active on social media trying to counteract the negative posts that I were going up left, right and centre.

On Thursday, sadly, I saw and experienced the kind of stuff that people were complaining about on opening day - and this was over a month later. You can call me an idiot for seeing these things if you wish - it might make you feel better about yourself - but these things were very real and highly visible. Putting your head in the sand isn't the way to deal with things that the general public see and don't like, and I saw plenty of those things on Thursday. That is what will do the damage to Dreamland.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Bob » 26 Jul 2015, 14:06

It is not impressive . It rains in the UK, What's new, Other parks manage to keep operating, It does not seem a very professional outfit in my view. You do not close facilities at no notice except in the most extreme circumstances, How many people would have made a trip to Margate only to find when they get there it was closed. Will they come back? I doubt it. I would have no confidence it will even be open on Monday, If this is how they are carrying on in the high summer season it does not look good. It should as well be open every day during the school holidays and not be opening on an almost random basis
Bob

Postby EAS » 26 Jul 2015, 14:07

Hi Bob.

Still trolling?

Not actually been to Margate yet alone Dreamland have you?

Actually, do you ever leave your mum's basement?
EAS

Postby AJ » 26 Jul 2015, 16:08

Out of interest can anybody recall a time when Dreamland has had to close for a weekend mid season? Bit worrying with how rubbish the weather can get in that part of Kent with high winds etc.

As to your comments EAS about many people having a great time, this will be true but complainers always tend to shout louder and often for longer and god forbid they have a Twitter or Facebook account. Ever since I worked in a shop as a teenager I've always made a point of going out of my way to praise good service either directly or to management. Unfortunately the look of amazement of the people shows that good things tend to not get enough recognition or reward.

I do think management should answer people queries on social media. I've sent tweets, posts & emails of a couple of questions for information that would be most helpful to a visit for our family and unfortunately never had a response which is a shame.
AJ

Postby Cheryl » 26 Jul 2015, 18:50

I do hope this doesn't happen next weekend, my lovely daughter Francesca and me are coming down for a day at the park and sing a long a grease. Really looking forward to seeing how things have changed since the opening day and of course having a good old sing song later.

Anyone else going?
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 26 Jul 2015, 19:12

AJ wrote:
I do think management should answer people queries on social media. I've sent tweets, posts & emails of a couple of questions for information that would be most helpful to a visit for our family and unfortunately never had a response which is a shame.

I agree, as a small business owner myself I wouldn't dream of simply ignoring a customer enquiry, and that is with having only a fraction of the resources available to me that Dreamland has, or should have. It is absolutely essential that Dreamland massively improves its level of communication with customers and would-be customers if it is to succeed.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby EAS » 26 Jul 2015, 22:38

I have been replied to both on social media and by email from Dreamland. I found those I dealt with very helpful.

Anyone else going?

Wish I was! Hopefully there are no serious gale warnings for next weekend.
EAS

Postby EAS » 27 Jul 2015, 09:14

Well Bob

I would have no confidence it will even be open on Monday

Wrong as usual. Dreamland re-opened at 10 am.
EAS

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum